SCENOGRAPHIA SYSTEMATIS COPERNICANI
- Type of resource
- Date created
- 1 celestial chart : hand col. ; 43.3 x 51.4 cm.
- Map data
- Scale not given ; (W 0° --E 0°/N 90° --N 90°)
Also available at
Item belongs to a collection
Images from the Glen McLaughlin Collection of California as an Island maps, a collection of nearly 750 maps obtained by Mr. McLaughlin over nearly 40 years. Included in the collection are hemisphere and world maps, celestial charts, title pages, globe gores and a medal. The dates range from 1622 to the mid-1800's.
- Digital collection
- 708 digital items
- Cellarius, Andreas
- Copperplate engraved.
- L.C. 469, 4274; Koeman IV,Cel 1(5), Cel 2, Cel 3; Snyder p.68 (PLATE 32); UCBm; The cartography of North America (page 133).
- Shows the Copernican system of 4 hemisphere views and paths of the planets, within a ring of the zodiac.
- California as an island with rounded northern coastline on the hemispheres.
- Title divided between 2 cartouches of winged figures holding draped cloth (top left and right).
- Blind-folded royal figure seated at globe of Ptolemaic constellations (bottom left). Another figure studying a book (bottom right).
- '5' (bottom right).
- Issued in: Atlas coelestis; seu harmonia macrocosmica (Celestial atlas of universal harmony). -- Amstelodami : apud Joannem Janssonium, 1660, 1661. Published by Gerardum Valk & Petrum Schenk, 1708.
- Statement of responsibility
- [Andreas Cellarius].
- Original McLaughlin Book Number (1995 edition)
- Use and reproduction
- Image from the Glen McLaughlin Map Collection of California as an Island courtesy Stanford University Libraries. This item is in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use. If you have questions, please contact the David Rumsey Map Center at email@example.com.
- This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.