Africae, described, the manners of their Habits, and buildinge:
- Type of resource
- [London] : Humble, George, d. 1640
- Date created
- 38 x 50 cm
- Map data
- No scale given ; (W 18°--E 51°/N 37°--S 35°)
The collection contains 312 maps of Africa and its islands collected by Oscar I. Norwich, and includes sea charts and maps of Southern Africa; the Cape of Good Hope; North, East, and West Africa; islands, ports, and town plans. The majority of the maps are loose items, but a certain number are from rare, published atlases; a few were published in travel books.
- The borders show natives in traditional dress and views of towns.The seas contain flying fish and spouting whales. Elephants, lions, camels, monkeys and ostriches are shown on the mainland. The interior contains rivers, mountains, and lakes, many of which are fictitious. Description of Africa on verso.
- Norwich, I., Pam Kolbe, and Jeffrey C Stone. Norwich's Maps of Africa: An Illustrated and Annotated Carto-Bibliography. 2nd ed. / rev. and edited by Jeffrey C. Stone. Norwich, Vt.: Terra Nova Press, 1997. Map 0030, p. 40.
- Dr. Oscar I. Norwich
- Norwich ID
- NOR 0030
- Use and reproduction
- To obtain permission to publish or reproduce, please contact the Special Collections Public Services Librarian at email@example.com.
- Property rights reside with the repository. Copyright © Stanford University. All Rights Reserved.