Seafloor Character: Offshore of Bodega Head, California, 2010
- Type of resource
- Software, multimedia
- Santa Cruz, California, US : Geological Survey (U.S.), 2014
- Date valid
- Digital origin
- born digital
- Raster Dataset
- GeoTIFF; Raster
- Map data
- Scale not given. ; Custom projection (W 123°10ʹ12ʺ--W 122°58ʹ12ʺ/N 38°24ʹ36ʺ--N 38°15ʹ)(W 123°10ʹ22ʺ--W 122°58ʹ11ʺ/N 38°24ʹ42ʺ--N 38°15ʹ7ʺ)
- Scale not given. ; EPSG::4326 W 123°10ʹ22ʺ--W 122°58ʹ11ʺ/N 38°24ʹ42ʺ--N 38°15ʹ7ʺ
Also available at
Item belongs to a collection
In 2007, the California Ocean Protection Council initiated the California Seafloor Mapping Program (CSMP), designed to create a comprehensive seafloor map of high-resolution bathymetry, marine benthic habitats, and geology within the 3-nautical-mile limit of California's State Waters. The CSMP approach is to create highly detailed seafloor maps and associated data layers through the collection, integration, interpretation, and visualization of swath sonar data, acoustic backscatter, seafloor video, seafloor photography, high-resolution seismic-reflection profiles, and bottom-sediment sampling data.
- Digital collection
- 207 digital items
- Physical collection
- 1 computer optical disc : col. ; 4 3/4 in.
This layer is a georeferenced raster image representing the seafloor character map for the offshore area of Bodega Head in California. This layer is part of USGS Data Series 781.
In 2007, the California Ocean Protection Council initiated the California Seafloor Mapping Program (CSMP) to create a comprehensive seafloor map of high-resolution bathymetry, marine benthic habitats and geology within the 3-nautical-mile limit of California's State Waters. CSMP has divided coastal California into 110 map blocks, each to be published individually as United States Geological Survey Open-File Reports (OFRs) or Scientific Investigations Maps (SIMs) at a scale of 1:24,000. Maps display seafloor morphology and character, identify potential marine benthic habitats and illustrate both the seafloor geology and shallow (to about 100 m) subsurface geology. Data layers for bathymetry, bathymetric contours, acoustic backscatter, seafloor character, potential benthic habitat and offshore geology were created for each map block, as well as regional-scale data layers for sediment thickness, depth to transition, transgressive contours, isopachs, predicted distributions of benthic macro-invertebrates and visual observations of benthic habitat from video cruises over the entire state. These data are intended for science researchers, students, policy makers, and the general public. This information is not intended for navigational purposes.The data can be used with geographic information systems (GIS) software to display geologic and oceanographic information. Additionally, this coverage can provide a geologic map for the public and geoscience community to aid in assessments and mitigation of geologic hazards in the coastal region and sufficient geologic information for land-use and land-management decisions both onshore and offshore. This information is not intended for navigational purposes.
- Preferred citation
- Erdey, M.D. and Cochrane, G.R. (2014). Seafloor Character: Offshore of Bodega Head, California, 2010. California State Waters Map Series Data Catalog: U.S. Geological Survey Data Series 781. Available at: http://purl.stanford.edu/vt081ky5586.
- Supplemental information
- Information for USGS Coastal and Marine Geology related activities are online at <http://walrus.wr.usgs.gov/infobank/l/l908nc/html/l-9-08-nc.meta.html>
- WGS84 Cartographics
- This layer is presented in the WGS84 coordinate system for web display purposes. Downloadable data are provided in native coordinate system or projection.
- Use and reproduction
- This item is in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use.