Airport No Fly Zones for Drones: San Mateo County, California, 2015
- Type of resource
- Software, multimedia
- Redwood City, California, US : County of San Mateo Information Services Department, 2015
- Date valid
- Digital origin
- born digital
- Shapefile; Polygon
- Map data
- Scale not given. ; EPSG::2227 (W 141°13ʹ9ʺ--W 141°13ʹ9ʺ/N 30°36ʺ--N 30°36ʺ)
- Scale not given. ; EPSG::4326 W 141°13ʹ9ʺ--W 141°13ʹ9ʺ/N 30°36ʺ--N 30°36ʺ
- County of San Mateo Information Services Department (creator)
This polygon shapefile depicts the 5 mile areas surrounding the San Francisco International Airport in the County of San Mateo, California inside of which Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS), or drones, cannot be flown without appropriate notification of and approval from the airport or control tower. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and other government entities have issued regulations for flying UAS or, more commonly, drones. Areas of exclusion include National Parks, Military Bases, and with notification restrictions within a 5 mile area of airports. This map shows areas where drones cannot be flown (over the Golden Gate National Recreation Area) as well as areas where UAS operators must notify an airport or control tower when flying within 5 nautical miles of an airport. The following are the most important regulations related to UAS operations: 1) Fly no higher than 400 feet and remain below any surrounding obstacles when possible; 2) Do not intentionally fly over unprotected persons or moving vehicles, and remain at least 25 feet away from individuals and vulnerable property; 3) Check and follow all local laws and ordinances before flying over private property; 4) Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations, and you must see and avoid other aircraft and obstacles at all times; and 5) Contact the airport or control tower before flying within five miles of an airport. This layer is part of a collection of GIS data for San Mateo County, California.
This coverage can be used for basic applications such as viewing, querying, and map output production, or to provide a basemap to support graphical overlays and analyses of geospatial data.
- Preferred citation
- County of San Mateo Information Services Department. (2015). Airport No Fly Zones for Drones: San Mateo County, California, 2015. San Mateo County. Available at: http://purl.stanford.edu/vp524qt9972
- Supplemental information
- The full set of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) regulations can be found on the Know Before You Fly Site: http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/KBYF_Brochure.pdfThis data comes from a Mapbox project: https://www.mapbox.com/blog/dont-fly-here/.
- Use limitation
- The County of San Mateo cannot vouch for the data or analyses derived from these data.
- WGS84 Cartographics
- This layer is presented in the WGS84 coordinate system for web display purposes. Downloadable data are provided in native coordinate system or projection.
- Use and reproduction
- This item is in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use.