Nov9 Orbis sive AMERICA SEPTENTRIONALIS, divisa per sua Regna Provinc: et Insul: cura et opera
- Type of resource
- in Augsburg
- Date created
- [ca. 1790]
- 1 map: hand col.; 19.7 x 25.5 cm. including border.
- Map data
- [ca. 1:100,000,000] ; (W 173°00ʹ --W 10°00ʹ/N 84°00ʹ --N 7°10ʹ)
Also available at
Item belongs to a collection
Images from the Glen McLaughlin Collection of California as an Island maps, a collection of nearly 750 maps obtained by Mr. McLaughlin over nearly 40 years. Included in the collection are hemisphere and world maps, celestial charts, title pages, globe gores and a medal. The dates range from 1622 to the mid-1800's., Images from the Glen McLaughlin Collection of California as an Island maps, a collection of nearly 750 maps obtained by Mr. McLaughlin over nearly 40 years. Included in the collection are hemisphere and world maps, celestial charts, title pages, globe gores and a medal. The dates range from 1622 to the mid-1800's.
- Digital collection
- 708 digital items
- State 3
- [ca.1790], with "Jm Verlag bey I.M. Will Kunftv: in Augsburg." (bottom center).
- Tooley 95; Leighly 170; Polk (p.305); Nordenskiöld Collection 2, 283(5).
- Statement of responsibility
- "MATTH: SEUTTER S.C.M. Geogr. Aug.V."
- California as an island based on second Sanson model; also of Homann style, and with many coastal place names. California narrows in center, almost becoming two islands, a theory advanced by Father Luís Velarde (ref. The island of California, a history of the myth / by Dora Beale Polk. -- Spokane, WA: The Arthur H. Clark Co., 1991, p. 305). Title cartouche (upper left) with natives. Scales given within cartouche in Milliaria Gallica and Milliaris Germanica. Engraved by: Tob. Conr. Lotter, sculpsit. (lower right).A.C. Seutter Delin. (lower left).
- Original McLaughlin Book Number (1995 edition)
- Original McLaughlin book number (1995 edition) with latest state information
- Use and reproduction
- Image from the Glen McLaughlin Map Collection of California as an Island courtesy Stanford University Libraries. This item is in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use. If you have questions, please contact the David Rumsey Map Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.