A NEW AND CORRECT MAP of the WORLD Laid down according to the Newest Observations & Discoveries In several different Projections : Including ye Trade Winds Monsoons Variation of the Compass and Illustrated with a Cœlestial Planisphere, the various Systems of PTOLEMY, COPERNICUS, and TYCHO BRAHE Together w.th ye Apearances of the Planets &c
- Type of resource
- Date created
- 1 map on 2 joined sheets; hand col., double hemisphere each 41.5 cm. diam.; 64.5 x 95.2 cm. including border.
- Map data
- Scale not given ; (W 180° --E 180°/N 85° --S 85°)
Images from the Glen McLaughlin Collection of California as an Island maps, a collection of nearly 750 maps obtained by Mr. McLaughlin over nearly 40 years. Included in the collection are hemisphere and world maps, celestial charts, title pages, globe gores and a medal. The dates range from 1622 to the mid-1800's.
- State 1
- [ca. 1710?] with imprint of Chareles Price.
- State 2
- [ca. 1710?] with imprint “Sold By George Willdey at ye Great Toy & Print Shop ye corner of Ludgate street near St Pauls Church Yard LONDON”.
- State 3
- [ca. 1755] with the imprint of Thomas JEFFERYS & William HERBERT, London.
- State 4
- 1785, with imprint of R. Marshall. The central map has several additions, including the sailing tracks of Cook and Furneaux, the coastline above California and the coast of Siberia, the completed coastline of New Zealand, the additions of the islands of New Caledonia, the Great Hebrides, and the “NEW DISCOVERED ISLANDS”, the insertion of Kamtchatka and the Kuriles Islands and the complete coastline of Australia.
- Statement of responsibility
- "W. Godson Delin.t."
- Ashley Baynton-Williams; Sotheby’s, Nov. 11, 1985, lot 173(ill.) (State 2); Sotheby’s Books, April 21, 1983, lot 112 (State 3); Sotheby’s Natural History, Dec. 4, 1997, lot 199 (State 4); Wagner 505(?).
- With 22 inset maps, title cartouche, and imprint within separate small circle. Copperplate engraving. California shown as a large island with indented northern coastline, with “The suposed Straits of Annian” to its north, and with the coastline continuing north and including gap between Siberia and the North Archipeligo. California also as an island on 4 of the inset maps, as noted below. Inset maps, with location on sheet within brackets, as per current map collectors’ convention, and with ‘//’ indicating a gap between words on a continuous line and ‘|’ indicating a line break: The NORTHEN // HEMISPHERE upon | the Plane of // the EQUINOCTIAL. [1A] 17.5 cm. diam. California shown as an island. The NORTHERN // CŒLESTIAL | HEMIS- // PHERE. [3a] 19.2 cm. diam. A Projection of ye World upon Equidistant Meridians and Paralells. [4a] 10.3 x 22.3 cm. California shown as an island. The NORTHERN // HEMISPHERE | upon the Plane of // the ECLIPTIC. [5c] 17.5 cm. diam. California shown as an island. The Face of the SUN | By FA: KIRCHER. [1B] 8.0 cm. diam. PTOLOMY.S SYSTEM. [1b] 5.3 cm. diam. COPERNICUS SYSTEM. [1d] 5.3 cm. diam. The SUN Enlightning y.e EARTH. [1d] 7.8 cm. diam. The face of the MOON [5b] 8.0 cm. diam. TYCHO.S SYSTEM [5b] 5.3 cm. diam. Spæra Recta. [5c] 4.5 cm. diam. Mercury [5d] 5.3 cm. diam. The SUN Enlightning y.e MOON [5d] 7.7 cm. diam. The SOUTHERN // HEMISPHERE | upon the Plane of // the EQUINOCT.L [1e] 17.6 cm. diam. Venus By | M.r Cassini. [2e] 5.3 cm. diam. The SOUTHERN // HEMISPHERE | upon the Plane of //ye HORIZON. [2e] 11.4 cm. diam. Ma- // rs | By M.r Cassini. [2e] 5.3 cm. The SOUTHERN // CŒLESTIAL | HEMIS // PHERE. [3e] 19.4 cm. diam. Saturn | By M.r Cassini. [4e] 5.6 cm. diam. The NORTHERN // HEMISPHERE | upon ye Plane of ye // HORIZON. [4e] 11.2 cm. diam. California shown as an island. Jupiter with his 4 Satellites | By M.r Cassini. [4e] 5.5 cm. diam. The SOUTHERN // HEMISPHERE | upon the Plane of ye // ECLIPTIC. [5e] 17.6 cm. diam. Title cartouche of scrollwork (top left) “W.Godson Delin.t” within cartouche scrollwork. Imprint information within plain circle (center left) Separately published.
- Post publication map number
- Post publication map number with latest state information
- Use and reproduction
- Image from the Glen McLaughlin Map Collection of California as an Island courtesy Stanford University Libraries. This item is in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use. If you have questions, please contact the David Rumsey Map Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.