Kelp Bed Boundaries: California, 2014
- Type of resource
- Software, multimedia
- Monterey, CA, US : California. Department of Fish and Game. Marine Resources Region, 2014
- Date valid
- Digital origin
- born digital
- Shapefile; Polygon
- Map data
- Scale not given. ; Custom projection (W 124°38ʹ2ʺ--W 116°42ʹ26ʺ/N 42°4ʹ26ʺ--N 32°29ʹ29ʺ)
- Scale not given. ; EPSG::4326 W 124°32ʹ6ʺ--W 117°5ʹ36ʺ/N 42°--N 32°31ʹ51ʺ
Also available at
Item belongs to a collection
This polygon shapefile depicts kelp beds along the California coast, a critical habitat for many species of invertebrates, fish and marine mammals. Title 14, California Code of Regulations, designates 87 'Administrative Kelp Beds' (hereinafter kelp beds) for the purposes of managing commercial kelp harvest. The 87 kelp beds extend from the United States-Mexico border to the California-Oregon border and surround each of the Channel Islands. Each kelp bed falls within one of the following management categories: open, closed, leaseable and lease only. Open kelp beds are available to commercial kelp harvest, leases cannot be issued. Closed kelp beds are closed to all kelp harvesting. Leaseable kelp beds are available for kelp harvesting until the bed is leased, at which time only the lessee may harvest. Lease only kelp beds are closed to all kelp harvesting unless an exclusive lease is obtained. Kelp beds which are leased are desiginated as such. The kelp bed boundaries contained in this shapefile were redefined effective April 1, 2014. Fish and Game Code 6650-6751 and Title 14, California Code of Regulations, Sections 165 and 165.5 contain regulations for the harvest of kelp.
This coverage can be used for administrative kelp bed identification and management. The kelp bed boundaries contained in this shapefile were redefined effective April 1, 2014.
- Preferred citation
- California Department of Fish and Wildlife Marine Resources Region. (2014). Kelp Bed Boundaries: California, 2014. California Department of Fish and Wildlife. Marine Resources Region. Available at: http://purl.stanford.edu/kv293xx7696.
- WGS84 Cartographics
- This layer is presented in the WGS84 coordinate system for web display purposes. Downloadable data are provided in native coordinate system or projection.
- Use and reproduction
- This item is in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use.