Traffic Volume, California, 2014
- Type of resource
- Software, multimedia
- Sacramento, US : California. Department of Transportation, 2015
- Digital origin
- born digital
- Shapefile; Point
- Map data
- Scale not given. ; EPSG::4269 (W 124°15ʹ53ʺ--W 114°17ʹ56ʺ/N 42°20ʺ--N 32°32ʹ40ʺ)
- Scale not given. ; EPSG::4326 W 124°15ʹ53ʺ--W 114°17ʹ56ʺ/N 42°20ʺ--N 32°32ʹ40ʺ
Also available at
Item belongs to a collection
This point shapefile contains traffic volume (also known as traffic counts) on California's state highway network created from 2014 Average Annual Daily Traffic (AADT) counts (excel spreadsheet) maintained by Caltrans, Division of Traffic Operations. Annual average daily traffic is the total volume for the year divided by 365 days. The traffic count year is from October 1st through September 30th. Very few locations in California are actually counted continuously. Traffic counting is generally performed by electronic counting instruments moved from location throughout the State in a program of continuous traffic count sampling. The resulting counts are adjusted to an estimate of annual average daily traffic by compensating for seasonal influence, weekly variation and other variables which may be present. Annual ADT is necessary for presenting a statewide picture of traffic flow, evaluating traffic trends, computing accident rates, planning and designing highways and other purposes.This layer is part of a collection of GIS data created by the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans).
This dataset is intended for researchers, students, and policy makers for reference and mapping purposes, and may be used for basic applications such as viewing, querying, and map output production, or to provide a basemap to support graphical overlays and analysis with other spatial data.
- Preferred citation
- California Department of Transportation. (2015). Traffic Volume, California, 2014. California Department of Transportation. Available at http://purl.stanford.edu/fx041qj6799.
- Supplemental information
- Traffic Census Program: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/saferesr/trafdata/index.htm
- Use limitation
- Disclaimer: The data are made available to the public solely for informational purposes. Information provided in the Caltrans GIS Data Library is accurate to the best of our knowledge and is subject to change on a regular basis, without notice. While Caltrans makes every effort to provide useful and accurate information, we do not warrant the information to be authoritative, complete, factual, or timely. Information is provided on an "as is" and an "as available" basis. The Department of Transportation is not liable to any party for any cost or damages, including any direct, indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damages, arising out of or in connection with the access or use of, or the inability to access or use, the Site or any of the Materials or Services described herein.
- WGS84 Cartographics
- This layer is presented in the WGS84 coordinate system for web display purposes. Downloadable data are provided in native coordinate system or projection.
- Use and reproduction
- This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. http://www.gnu.org/licenses.