A New Map of Egypt (Raster Image)
- Type of resource
- Software, multimedia
- Stanford, California, US : Stanford Digital Repository, 2013
- Digital origin
- born digital
- Raster Dataset
- GeoTIFF; Raster
- Map data
- Scale not given. ; Custom projection (E 24°32ʹ31ʺ--E 36°25ʹ42ʺ/N 32°6ʹ36ʺ--N 23°3ʹ26ʺ)
- Scale not given. ; EPSG::4326 E 24°32ʹ31ʺ--E 36°25ʹ40ʺ/N 32°6ʹ36ʺ--N 23°3ʹ27ʺ
Also available at
Item belongs to a collection
- Digital collection
- 75 digital items
This layer is a georeferenced raster image of an historic regional map of Egypt, titled 'A New Map of Egypt,' originally created by John Cary in 1805. This map contains an inset: The Delta and Adjacent Parts upon an Enlarged Scale. All map collar and inset information is also available as part of the raster image, including any inset maps, profiles, statistical tables, directories, text, illustrations, or other information associated with the principal map. This map was georeferenced by the Stanford University Geospatial Center using a Transverse Mercator projection. This map is part of a selection of digitally scanned and georeferenced historic maps of Africa held at Stanford University Libraries.
This historic paper map provides an historical perspective of the cultural and physical landscape during this time period. The wide range of information provided on these maps make them useful in the study of historic geography. As this map has been georeferenced, it also can be used as a background layer in conjunction with other GIS data.
- Attribute accuracy report
- The horizontal positional accuracy of a raster image is approximately the same as the accuracy of the published source map. The lack of a greater accuracy is largely the result of the inaccuracies with the original measurements and possible distortions in the original paper map document. There may also be errors introduced during the digitizing and georeferencing process. In most cases, however, errors in the raster image are small compared with sources of error in the original map graphic. The RMS error for this map is 852.393 meters. This value describes how consistent the transformation is between the different control points (links). The RMS error is only an assessment of the accuracy of the transformation.
- Preferred citation
- Cary, John, and Stanford Geospatial Center. (2013). A New Map of Egypt (Raster Image). Stanford Digital Repository. Available at: http://purl.stanford.edu/fn566hh7972.
- Supplemental information
- For more information about Stanford's Maps of Africa Collection, see here: https://exhibits.stanford.edu/maps-of-africa.
- WGS84 Cartographics
- This layer is presented in the WGS84 coordinate system for web display purposes. Downloadable data are provided in native coordinate system or projection.
- Use and reproduction
- This work is in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use.