AMERICAM UTRAMQUE ALIIS CORRECTIOREM
- Type of resource
- Date created
- [ca. 1799]
- [ca. 1700]
- 1 map : hand col.; 41.4 x 51.7 cm.; 42.9 x 53.3 cm. including border.
- Map data
- [ca.1: 43,000,000]. Amstelodami, [17 ; (W 160° --E 20°/N 90° --S 90°)
Images from the Glen McLaughlin Collection of California as an Island maps, a collection of nearly 750 maps obtained by Mr. McLaughlin over nearly 40 years. Included in the collection are hemisphere and world maps, celestial charts, title pages, globe gores and a medal. The dates range from 1622 to the mid-1800's.
- Keulen, Gerard van (creator)
- California as an island with flat northern coast. C. Mendocino is northernmost point. Straet Anian and Anian are far to the north. Zelandia Nova to far southwest.
- Title cartouche (upper left) with cherubs in clouds.
- Embellished with vignettes of ships in battle (in the Atlantic), Atlas, mermaids and explorers (in the Pacific), and other mythological land and sea figures (lower left).
- Dedication, with crest: "Amplissmo Spectatiasmo Prudentissimo Dno Dno Iacobo Boreel. Cos: et Senatori, Reipublicæ Amstelodamensium. Nuper Fæd: Belgii ad Czaream Moscoviæ Majtem Regemcy.
- Galliæ Legato Extraordo. D.D.D. G.van Keulen" (lower right).
- On verso, 2 portrait sketches.
- Statement of responsibility
- Excud: G. van Keulen.
- None found.
- Original McLaughlin Book Number (1995 edition)
- Use and reproduction
- Image from the Glen McLaughlin Map Collection of California as an Island courtesy Stanford University Libraries. This item is in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use. If you have questions, please contact the David Rumsey Map Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.