LA CALIFORNIE ou NOUVELLE CAROLINE, TEATRO DE LOS TRABAJOS, APOSTOLICOS DE LA COMPA, E JESUS EN LA AMERICA, SEPTE. Dressèe sur celle que le Viceroy de la Nouvelle Espagne envoya il y a peu d'Annèes a= Mrs. de l'Academie des Sciences
- Type of resource
- Date created
- 1 map : hand col.; 46.5 x 67.8 cm. to imprint edge.
- Map data
- [ca.1:6,800,000]. Tronco de Leguas Castellanas. ; (W 124°30ʹ --W 114°15ʹ/N 42°00ʹ --N 32°30)
Images from the Glen McLaughlin Collection of California as an Island maps, a collection of nearly 750 maps obtained by Mr. McLaughlin over nearly 40 years. Included in the collection are hemisphere and world maps, celestial charts, title pages, globe gores and a medal. The dates range from 1622 to the mid-1800's.
- Fer, Nicolas de, 1646-1720 (creator)
- California as an island with indented northern coast.
- Wagner 517; Wheat 102; Tooley 83 (Plate 58); Leighly 146 (Plate XXI); BN FER IIC(95).
- Enlarged version of his 1700 map of California and New Mexico. Place names in New Mexico are now engraved on map, rather than numbered.
- Text giving names and dates of European landings in California is below title, within scroll with vignettes of natives (upper right).
- Scale given within cartouche decorated with birds, armadillo and sloth (bottom left).
- Issued in his: Atlas ou recüeil de cartes geographiques, Paris, 1709-.
- Statement of responsibility
- Par N. de Fer Geographe de sa Majeste Catolique.
- Original McLaughlin Book Number (1995 edition)
- Use and reproduction
- Image from the Glen McLaughlin Map Collection of California as an Island courtesy Stanford University Libraries. This item is in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use. If you have questions, please contact the David Rumsey Map Center at email@example.com.
- This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.