CARTE DE LA MER DU SUD | ET DES COSTES D'AMERQUE ET D'ASIE, SITUEES SUR CETTE MER | CARTE DE LA MER DU NORD | ET DES COSTES D'AMERIQUE, D'EUROPE ET D'AFRIQUE, SITUEES SUR CETTE MER
- Type of resource
- Date created
- 1 map : 96 x 189 cm.; 102 x 189.5 cm. including border, on 10 joined and backed sheets.
- Map data
- [ca.1:14,000,000]. ; (W 160° --E 20°/N 90° --S 90°)
Also available at
Item belongs to a collection
Images from the Glen McLaughlin Collection of California as an Island maps, a collection of nearly 750 maps obtained by Mr. McLaughlin over nearly 40 years. Included in the collection are hemisphere and world maps, celestial charts, title pages, globe gores and a medal. The dates range from 1622 to the mid-1800's., Images from the Glen McLaughlin Collection of California as an Island maps, a collection of nearly 750 maps obtained by Mr. McLaughlin over nearly 40 years. Included in the collection are hemisphere and world maps, celestial charts, title pages, globe gores and a medal. The dates range from 1622 to the mid-1800's.
- Digital collection
- 708 digital items
- Par N De Fer Geographe de sa Majesté Catolique avec Privilege du Roy.
- Associated with
- Fer, Nicolas De
- California as an island with indented coastline and labelled Les Californies ou Carolines. Agabela de Cato, Detroit d'Anian and Terre d'Anian to north. Northeastern California is called Coste de S. François Xavier. Pacific Ocean is labelled Mer du Sud, North Atlantic labelled Mer du Nord, and South Atlantic labelled Ocean Meridional.Engraved by: P. Starckman sculpsit (bottom left).Dedication: Dediée a Monseigneur le Comte de Toulouse Louis Alexandre de Bourbon... Within cartouche decorated as fur cape adorned with crest and crown (lower left).Insets: Istme de Panama ou de Darien, Port de Acapoulco, Golfe de Mexique, Lima, Baldive, La Ville de Mexique, La Conception, Rio de la Plata, La Havane, St. Sebastien, and Vera Cruz.Nine oval portraits of navigators divide title at map top. Many sea routes are shown. Many vignettes show native customs and activities, and beavers.Basis for Chatelaine's map of 1719.
- Wheat 93; Wagner 506; Tooley 80; see also similar map title in Wagner 501 & 511, Leighly 136 & 142.
- Use and reproduction
- Image from the Glen McLaughlin Map Collection of California as an Island courtesy Stanford University Libraries. This item is in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use. If you have questions, please contact the David Rumsey Map Center at email@example.com.
- This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.