Catholicon of Giovanni Balbi : manuscript leaf in Latin
- [England, mid-14th century]
- Physical description
- 1 vellum leaf, 310 x 205 mm.
Also available at
At the library
All items must be viewed on site
Request items at least 2 days before you visit to allow retrieval from off-site storage. You can request at most 5 items per day.
|MISC 1838||In-library use|
- Balbi, Giovanni, -1298
The pages contain the end of the entries P and the opening of the entries Q. Comparison with the 1971 reprint of the Mainz 1460-edition shows that there are a large number of textual disagreements between this manuscript and the printed edition; but other manuscripts also vary considerably from it... [from dealer description]
- The words discussed are underlined in red. Among the ones on the recto are propinquus and a number of terms derived from prope, in column 2 we have among others prosaice and various words derived from protos and from pseudo. The verso begins with Psallo and the P entries conclude with ptisanarium. The Q entries begin with Quatuor, and the last entry: quadriiugis. [dealer description]
- Earliest possible date
- Latest possible date
- Script: two columns, 39 lines, brown ink. Gothic minuscule, squarish, regular and precise, hairline finishing strokes, 2-compartment a, round d is the rule, crossed tironian sign represents et. Capitals touched with red. There is a handsome, very large black and red initial (20 lines). [dealer description]
- Open for research; material must be requested at least 24 hours in advance of intended use.
- Purchased at Bonhams, lot 6068, 17 Feb., 2013. Accession 2013-032.
- Previous provenance: Sotheby's London Dec. 11, 1979, part of lot 12. Next recording: Bernard M. Rosenthal, Inc., Booksellers
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: