Microalgal biotechnology : potential and production
- editors, Clemens Posten and Christian Walter.
- Berlin ; Boston : De Gruyter, c2012.
- Physical description
- xix, 266 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 25 cm.
At the library
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|TP248.27 .A46 M54 2012||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction Historical view (marine biotechnology, micro and macro algae and cyanobacteria, marine habitats)-- Potentials and constraints Biology of micro algae Taxonomy-- Photosynthesis-- Autotrophic/mixotrophic/heterotrophic growth-- Symbiosis-- Extremophiles-- Genetic Engineering-- Special pathways and metabolisms (differences between plants, terrestrial and marine microorganisms) Applications and products Technically relevant strains-- Micro algae-- Macro algae-- Feed and aquaculture-- Nutrition-- Cosmetics-- Pharmaceutical products-- Energy-- Environment (aspects of CO2, waste water treatment and biosorption)-- Overview on the state-of-the-art of running industrial processes including economic aspects Engineering and technical aspects Light supply-- Different technologies of photobioreactors-- Open systems-- Closed systems-- Sterility-- Downstream processing.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
With the high interest in renewable resources, the field of algal biotechnology has undergone a huge leap in importance in recent years. The booktreats the biological fundamentals of microalgal biotechnology in physiology and molecular biology and provides an overview of applications and products. It furthermore includes a survey of the state-of-the-art in process engineering of algae cultivation starting with mass production in open ponds and leading you to advanced technologies in closed photobioreactors. Thus crucial enabling technologies reaching from genetic manipulation to bioprocess engineering are reviewed. Contributions from academia and industrial case studies make this book a comprehensive survey of current progress in microalgae biotechnology. So this book will be of interest to active people in biology, biotechnology, and engineering in the area of sustainable production of high value products or mass production of food and fuel for the future.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9783110225013 (hardcover : acid-free paper)
- 3110225018 (hardcover : acid-free paper)
- 9783110225020 (eISBN)
- 3110225026 (eISBN)
Browse related items
Start at call number: