- Mendelson, Mel I.
- Boca Raton, FL : CRC Press, c2013.
- Physical description
- xxix, 581 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 27 cm.
TP248.25 .N35 M46 2013
- Unknown TP248.25 .N35 M46 2013
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Thinking Small and Big Introduction Bit of Technology History Tera-to-Pico Multipliers Size of Things What Is "Small Technology?" Memory Lane in Electronics Applications Key Concepts Questions and Problems References Biomolecules and Cells Introduction Science of Evolution Powers of "10" Revisited Building a Human Cell Biomolecules Protein Folding Identifying Biomolecules Forensic Methods Genetic Variation: Mutations Key Concepts Questions and Problems References Molecular Chemistry Introduction Periodic Table Some Chemical Definitions Chemical Bonding Macromolecules Polymer Examples Colloids Solid Nanomolecules Key Concepts Questions and Problems References Bit of Physics Introduction Size Matters Working toward the Bottom Definitions at the Bottom Bottom: Energy Levels and Bonding Benefits at the Bottom Key Concepts Questions and Problems References Engineering Bits and Bytes Introduction Electronics-on-a-Chip Computer Applications Control Systems Key Concepts Questions and Problems References Seeing Small Things Introduction Human Eye Some Microscope Definitions Light Microscopes Electron Microscopes Key Concepts Questions and Problems References Nanoelectronics Introduction Computer Applications Lithographic Tools Recent Chip Developments Emerging Technology Bottom-Up Technology Key Concepts Questions and Problems References Microelectromechanical Systems Introduction Overview Microsensors Microactuators Biochips Key Concepts Questions and Problems References Nanotechnology and Cancer Introduction What Is Cancer? Discovery: L Detection: I Delivery: T Destruction: R Key Concepts Questions and Problems References Risks: Nano or Mega? Introduction Bit of Anatomy Definitions Relating to Risk Chemical and Physical Factors Benefits versus Risks Risk Assessment Risk Management Key Concepts Questions and Problems References Ethics and Social Relevance Introduction Some Ethics Definitions Ethics Algorithm Some Ethical Issues Key Concepts Questions and Problems References Self-Assembled Future Introduction Definition: Self-Assembled Future Geometric Proportions Chemical Assembly Snow Flake Assembly Self-Assembled Colloids Linear-Step Assembly Spiral-Step Assembly Amphiphilic Structures Biomolecular Assembly Self-Assembled Monolayers Some Future Predictions Epilogue Key Concepts Questions and Problems References Appendix A: Math Review: Multiplying and Dividing Exponents Appendix B: Math Review: Dimensional Analysis Appendix C: Math Review: No. of Ways and Probability Appendix D: Formulae of Various Geometrical Shapes Appendix E: Group Learning Guidelines Appendix F: Glossary of Terms Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Learning Bio-Micro-Nanotechnology is a primer on micro/nanotechnology that teaches the vocabulary, fundamental concepts, and applications of micro/nanotechnology in biology, chemistry, physics, engineering, electronics, computers, biomedicine, microscopy, ethics, and risks to humankind. It provides an introduction into the small world with a low fog index, emphasizing the concepts using analogies and illustrations to simplify the non-observables. The chapters have many "thinking exercises" and summaries with references at the end of each chapter. The questions at the end are divided into Bloom's taxonomy of learning skills and also include team exercises and methods to assess learning. There are many calculations using dimensional analysis according to first principles, but the math is purposely kept at a low level and is used as a means of understanding the concepts. The appendices provide a math review and a glossary of terms. Carefully designed as an easy-to-read textbook and a practical reference, this book emphasizes learning micro/nanotechnology vocabulary, concepts, and applications from first principles and from a multi-disciplinary point of view. This makes it suitable for one- and two-semester courses as well as a reference for professionals in the field.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Mel I. Mendelson.
- 9781420082036 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 1420082035 (hardcover : alk. paper)