Acquisition and analysis of terrestrial gravity data
- Leland Timothy Long, Professor Emeritus, Georgia Institute of Technology ; Ronald Douglas Kaufmann, Spotlight Geophysical Services.
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2013.
- Physical description
- ix, 171 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm.
Earth Sciences Library (Branner)
|QB337 .L66 2013||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 167-169) and index.
- Preface-- 1. Gravitational attraction-- 2. Instruments and data reduction-- 3. Field acquisition of gravity data-- 4. Graphical representation of the anomalous field-- 5. Manipulation of the gravity field-- 6. Interpretation of density structure-- 7. The inversion of gravity data-- 8. Experimental isostasy-- Appendix A. Common definitions and equations in potential theory-- Appendix B. Glossary of symbols-- References-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Gravity surveys have a huge range of applications, indicating density variations in the subsurface and identifying man-made structures, local changes of rock type or even deep-seated structures at the crust/mantle boundary. This important one-stop book combines an introductory manual of practical procedures with a full explanation of analysis techniques, enabling students, geophysicists, geologists and engineers to understand the methodology, applications and limitations of a gravity survey. Filled with examples from a wide variety of acquisition problems, the book instructs students in avoiding common mistakes and misconceptions. It explores the increasing near-surface geophysical applications being opened up by improvements in instrumentation and provides more advance-level material as a useful introduction to potential theory. This is a key text for graduate students of geophysics and for professionals using gravity surveys, from civil engineers and archaeologists to oil and mineral prospectors and geophysicists seeking to learn more about the Earth's deep interior.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
Contributor biographical information
Table of contents only
- Publication date
- 9781107024137 (hbk.)
- 1107024137 (hbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: