Principles of ecological landscape design
- Travis Beck.
- Washington, DC : Island Press, c2013.
- Physical description
- xiv, 280 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
Biology Library (Falconer)
QH541.15 .L35 B43 2013
- Unknown QH541.15 .L35 B43 2013
- Beck, Travis.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -272) and index.
- Right plant, right place: biogeography and plant selection
- Beyond massing: working with plant populations and communities
- The struggle for coexistence: on competition and assembling tight communities
- Complex creations: designing and managing ecosystems
- Maintaining the world as we know it: biodiversity for high-functioning landscapes
- The stuff of life: promoting living soils and healthy waters
- The birds and the bees: integrating other organisms
- When lightning strikes: counting on disturbance, planning for succession
- An ever-shifting mosaic: landscape ecology applied
- No time like the present: creating landscapes for an era of global change.
- Publisher's Summary
- Today, there is a growing demand for designed landscapes - from public parks to back gardens - to be not only beautiful and functional, but also sustainable. With "Principles of Ecological Landscape Design", Travis Beck gives professionals and students the first book to translate the science of ecology into design practice. This groundbreaking work explains key ecological concepts and their application to the design and management of sustainable landscapes. It covers topics from biogeography and plant selection to global change. Beck draws on real world cases where professionals have put ecological principles to use in the built landscape. For constructed landscapes to perform as we need them to, we must get their underlying ecology right. "Principles of Ecological Landscape Design" provides the tools to do just that.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Ecological landscape design
- 9781597267014 (hbk. : acid-free paper)
- 1597267015 (hbk. : acid-free paper)
- 9781597267021 (pbk. : acid-free paper)
- 1597267023 (pbk. : acid-free paper)