Nigeria's democratic experience in the fourth Republic since 1999 : policies and politics
- edited by A. Sat Obiyan and Kunle Amuwo.
- Lanham, Md. : University Press of America, c2013.
- Physical description
- xlii, 485 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Foreword List of Contributors Introduction: Kunle Amuwo and A. Sat Obiyan Section 1: Intra and Inter Governmental Relations Chapters 1. Intra - Executive Conflict in Nigeria's Presidential System (1999-2007): Implications for Policies and the Polity A. Sat Obiyan 2. Executive- Legislative Relationship W. Alade Fawole 3. Local Government in Federal-State-Local Relations, 1999-2006 Akpomuvire Mukoro 4. The Principles and Practice of Separation of Power in Nigeria: A Study of Olusegun Obasanjo's Civilian Regime Eugene N. Nweke 5. Emergency Powers, Political Instability and the Nigerian Constitution: The Plateau State Experience A.A. Idowu 6. The Federal State in Obasanjo's Nigeria: Coordinate Relationship or Imperial Order A. Sat Obiyan Section 2: Elections and Electoral Processes Chapters 7. Godfatherism and the Nigerian Polity Ukana B. Ikpe 8. Party System and Political Conflicts in Nigeria's Fourth Republic Adelaja Odukoya 9.The Independent National Electoral Commission and the Challenges of Election Management Robert O. Dode 10.Electoral Conflicts, the Judiciary and Democratic Consolidation in Nigeria A. Sat Obiyan and Oluwole I. Olutola 11. Elections in Nigeria: Problems and Prospects A. Sat Obiyan and O. S. Afolabi Section 3: Oil Politics, Revenue Allocation, Ethnic Relations and Political Violence Chapters 12. The Politics of Revenue Allocation in Nigeria: Issues and Problematics Dele Seteolu 13. Revenue Determination and Political Conflict in a Federal State: The Nigerian Experience Felix C. Asogwa and F.O. Fagbohun 14. Ethnic Nationalism and the Nigerian Democratic Experience in the Fourth Republic M.A.O. Aluko and O.A. Ajani 15. The Niger Delta Crisis and Nigerian Democracy Benson, Kunle Sehinde Benson Section 4: Educational Reforms, Religion, Population and Gender Issues Chapters 16. Nigerian Women, Ten Years after Beijing R.I. Ako-Nai and Iwebunor Okwechime 17. The Politics of Census in Nigeria: The Case of 2006 National Census P.O. Ogunjuyigbe and S.O. Bamiwuye 18. The Obasanjo Regime's Educational Reforms and National Development Chijioke Uwasomba 19. Poverty Reduction Strategy Papers: A Critical Analysis from Gender Perspective M. O. Obiyan and Tolulope Adeogun Section 5: The Leadership Question, Corruption and Accountability Chapters 20. Personality, Corruption and the Leadership Question in Nigeria Olukunle O. Oluwatula and Segun N. Odesola 21.Corruption and Anti-Corruption Strategies: Nigeria's Recent Experience Victor S. Alumona 22. Local Government and the Challenges of Democratic Consolidation in Nigeria Michael Adeyeye Section 6: Poverty Eradication and Economic Reforms Chapters 23. Poverty Reduction Strategies in Nigeria's Fourth Republic D.O. Elumilade 24. An Evaluation of the Effects of the National Economic Empowerment and Development Strategies (NEEDS) on Poverty Reduction in Nigeria T.K.O. Aluko 25. An Appraisal of the Federal Government Reform Policy of Re-engineering the Nigerian Insurance Industry towards Higher Productivity Olugbemi Fatula and A.A. Adedeji 26. The Politics of Oil Deregulation: Petroleum Products Pricing and Supply in the Nigerian Economy T.O. Akinbobola 27. The New Pension Reform Godwin 28. Nigeria's 2004 Pension Reform Act: Problems and Potential Remedies Olugbemi Fatula and A.A. Adedeji Section 7: The Legislature, Judiciary, Human Rights and the Nigerian State Chapters 29. The Government, Human Rights and the Rule of Law Sylvester Odion Akhaine 30. The Evolutionary Travails of the Nigerian State and Political System, 1914-1990 Akin Alao.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This book addresses various issues that have arisen in the practice of democracy in Nigeria since 1999, focusing on the Obasanjo years (1999-2007). Nigeria's return to democratic rule has been marked by developments such as the implementation of reforms to address perceived economic problems and corruption. The introduction of democracy in the country has also witnessed many challenges, including the difficult relationship between some political chief executives and their deputies; intriguing intergovernmental relations; the rise and resurgence of sub-national groups that pose serious threat to the hegemony of the state; precarious inter-ethnic/inter-sectional relations; attempts to perpetuate the tenure of chief executives through constitutional amendments; and developments in electoral politics and conflicts. The book provides incisive analysis into these issues.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9780761859543 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0761859543 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780761859550 (eISBN)
Browse related items
Start at call number: