Animal personalities : behavior, physiology, and evolution
- edited by Claudio Carere and Dario Maestripieri.
- Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 2013.
- Physical description
- ix, 507 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|QL751 .A667 2013||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Animal personalities : who cares and why? / Claudio Carere, Dario Maestripieri
- The bold and the spineless : invertebrate personalities / Jennifer A. Mather, David M. Logue
- Evolutionary perspectives on personality in stickleback fish / Alison M. Bell, Susan A. Foster, Matthew Wund
- Avian personality / Kees van Oers, Marc Naguib
- Differential behavioral ecology : the structure, life history, and evolution of primate personality / Alexander Weiss, Mark J. Adams
- Personalities in a comparative perspective : what do human psychologists glean from animal personality studies? / Samuel D. Gosling, Pranjal H. Mehta
- Quantitative and molecular genetics of animal personality / Kees van Oers, David L. Sinn
- What is the evidence that natural selection maintains variation in animal personalities? / Niels J. Dingemanse, Denis Réale
- Frontiers on the interface between behavioral syndromes and social behavioral ecology / Andrew Sih
- The evolution of animal personalities / Max Wolf, G. Sander van Doorn, Olof Leimar, Franz J. Weissing
- Ontogeny of stable individual differences : gene, environment, and epigenetic mechanisms / James P. Curley, Igor Branchi
- Parental influences on offspring personality traits in oviparous and placental vertebrates / Ton G.G. Groothuis, Dario Maestripieri
- Neuroendocrine and autonomic correlates of animal personalities / Doretta Caramaschi, Claudio Carere, Andrea Sgoifo, Jaap M. Koolhaas
- Animal personality and conservation biology : the importance of behavioral diversity / Brian R. Smith, Daniel T. Blumstein
- Personality variation in cultured fish : implications for production and welfare / Felicity Huntingford, Flavia Mesquita, Sunil Kadri
- Behavioral, physiological, and health biases in laboratory rodents : a basis for understanding mechanistic links between human personality and health / Sonia A. Cavigelli, Kerry C. Michael, Christina M. Ragan.
- Publisher's Summary
- Ask anyone who has owned a pet and they'll assure you that, yes, animals have personalities. And science is beginning to agree. Researchers have demonstrated that both domesticated and non domesticated animals - from invertebrates to monkeys and apes - behave in consistently different ways, meeting the criteria for what many define as personality. But why the differences, and how are personalities shaped by genes and environment? How did they evolve? The essays in "Animal Personalities" reveal that there is much to learn from our furred and feathered friends. The study of animal personality is one of the fastest-growing areas of research in behavioral and evolutionary biology. Here Claudio Carere and Dario Maestripieri, along with a host of scholars from fields as diverse as ecology, genetics, endocrinology, neuroscience, and psychology, provide a comprehensive overview of the current research on animal personality. Grouped into thematic sections, chapters approach the topic with empirical and theoretical material and show that to fully understand why personality exists, we must consider the evolutionary processes that give rise to personality, the ecological correlates of personality differences, and the physiological mechanisms underlying personality variation.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780226922058 20160610
- Publication date
- 9780226922058 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0226922057 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780226921976 (paper)
- 0226921972 (paper)
- 9780226922065 (e-book)
- 0226922065 (e-book)
Browse related items
Start at call number: