Fundamentals of electro-optic systems design : communications, lidar, and imaging
- Sherman Karp, Larry B. Stotts.
- Cambridge, UK ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2013.
- Physical description
- xviii, 302 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
Engineering Library (Terman)
|TK5103.59 .K337 2013||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. Genesis of electro-optic systems-- 2. Role of electromagnetic theory in electro-optics systems-- 3. Photo-detection of electromagnetic radiation-- 4. Metrics for evaluating photo-detected radiation-- 5. Contrast, visibility and imaging-- 6. Signal modulation schemes in optical communications-- 7. Forward error correction coding-- 8. Modern communications designs for FOC/FSOC applications-- 9. Light detection and ranging (LIDAR)-- 10. Communications in the turbulent channel-- 11. Communications in the optical scatter channel.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Using fundamentals of communication theory, thermodynamics, information theory and propagation theory, this book explains the universal principles underlying a diverse range of electro-optical systems. From fiber optics and infra-red imaging to free space communications and laser remote sensing, the authors relate key concepts in science and device engineering to practical systems issues. A broad spectrum of coherent and incoherent imaging and communications systems is considered, accompanied by many real-world examples. The authors also present new insights into LIDAR and free space communications and imaging, providing practical guidance on identifying the fundamental limitations of transmission and imaging through deleterious channels. Accompanied by online examples of processed images and videos, this uniquely tailored guide to the fundamental principles underlying modern electro-optical systems is an essential reference for all practising engineers and academic researchers in optical engineering.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781107021396 (hardback)
- 1107021391 (hardback)
Browse related items
Start at call number: