Philosophy of stem cell biology : knowledge in flesh and blood
- Melinda Bonnie Fagan.
- Basingstoke, Hampshire ; New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
- Physical description
- xx, 274 p. : ill. ; 22 cm.
- New directions in the philosophy of science.
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|QH588 .S83 F34 2013||Unknown|
- Fagan, Melinda Bonnie.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 251-259) and index.
- List of Figures and Tables Acknowledgements Visceral Phenomena PART I Stem Cell Concepts Don't Know What You've Got 'Til It's Gone: Evidence in Stem Cell Experiments A State of Uncertainty: Stemness and the Roles of Theory PART II Mechanistic Explanation: The Joint Account Genes and Development: The Stem Cell Perspective Pluripotent Model Organisms Social Experiments PART III Integrating Stem Cell and Systems Biology Clinical Values Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780230368279 20160610
- Publisher's Summary
- Examining stem cell biology from a philosophy of science perspective, this book clarifies the field's central concept, the stem cell, as well as its aims, methods, models, explanations and evidential challenges. The first chapters discuss what stem cells are, how experiments identify them, and why these two issues cannot be completely separated. The basic concepts, methods and structure of the field are set out, as well as key limitations and challenges. The second part of the book shows how rigorous explanations emerge from stem cell experiments, and compares these to other kinds of scientific explanation. Model organisms, the role of genes, and the significance of collaboration are also discussed. The last part of the book considers relations to systems biology and clinical medicine, arguing that both the mathematical models of the former, and ethical principles of the latter, are necessary for stem cell biology to deliver on its promises.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780230368279 20160610
- Publication date
- New directions in the philosophy of science
- 9780230368279 (hbk)
- 0230368271 (hbk)
- 9780230202108 (series standing order ISBN)
- 0230202101 (series standing order ISBN)
Browse related items
Start at call number: