Biomedical consulting agreements : a guide for academics
- Edward Klees and H. Robert Horvitz.
- Cambridge, Mass. : MIT Press, c2012.
- Physical description
- 125 p. : ill., forms ; 23 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Issues to consider when negotiating a consulting agreement
- What constitutes consulting?
- Scope of services
- Cash compensation
- Shares, stock options, and taxes
- Confidentiality obligations
- IP rights
- Time commitment
- Term and termination
- Multiple relationships with one company
- Start-up issues
- Other clauses
- Use of consulting entity
- Publisher's Summary
- There can be a clash of cultures when academic scientists negotiate consulting agreements with biotechnology or pharmaceutical companies. Scientists, accustomed to the collegial atmosphere of the laboratory and sometimes disdainful of legal paperwork, might be less than diligent in reading the fine print. On the other hand, a company--motivated to protect discoveries and trade secrets--might write provisions that are favorable to its interests, leaving it to the scientist to raise objections or offer a counterproposal. The scientist, meanwhile, might believe that it would be impolite or antagonistic to raise questions about a company's agreement. This book offers an essential guide for academic scientists and physicians who are considering consulting work in the field of biomedicine. In it, the authors--an attorney and a Nobel Laureate in Medicine, both with extensive experience reviewing and negotiating consulting agreements--outline key issues to consider before signing a consulting agreement. These issues range from the obvious--intellectual property, confidentiality, and fees--to those that might not spring immediately to mind, including indemnity, different classes of stock, and the relevance of insider trading and securities laws.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780262517935 20160615
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents only
- Publication date
- 9780262517935 (pbk.)
- 0262517930 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: