Early literacy materials selector (ELMS) : a tool for review of early literacy program materials
- Roskos, Kathy.
- Thousand Oaks, CA : Corwin Press, c2012.
- Physical description
- xiv, 99 p. ; 26 cm.
LB1139.5 .L35 R67 2012
- Unknown LB1139.5 .L35 R67 2012
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 93-96) and index.
- Foreword by Carol Vukelich Preface Acknowledgments About the Authors 1. An Introduction to ELMS 2. Planning a Review 3. More Than a Simple Review of Materials 4. Taking Inventory of Teaching Materials 5. Examining the Quality of Curriculum Material 6. Analyzing the Guidance Provided in Curriculum Materials 7. Arriving at the Final Rating 8. Technical Information Resource A. ELMS Tool: A Tool for Early Literacy Program Materials Review Resource B. Glossary of Terms Resource C. Example of Completed Part II: Quality of Curriculum Materials Resource D. Example of Completed Part III: Analysis of Guidance Resource E. Organizers for Planning and Facilitating Reviews Resource F. Case Study Example of a Team Review References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Your all-in-one guide to selecting the very best early literacy materials!Learning to read and write is too important to be left to chance, so it's absolutely critical that the early literacy curriculum and literature you use in PreK and kindergarten environments reflect the very best research and instructional practices. But, with the proliferation of new products, what's the best way to start? What criteria should the curriculum meet? Which research-based best practices should be represented? Early Literacy Materials Selector (ELMS)uthe first dedicated evaluation tool for early childhood literacy materialsuprovides all the answers.Step by step, this one-of-a-kind toolkit will help you:Recognize the characteristics of high-quality literacy materialsWork in teams or individually to evaluate your resourcesUnderstand the importance of the research baseEstablish a baseline against which new literacy materials can be comparedAll in all, there's no better resource to ensure we put our youngest students on the right path to school readiness and success.' Teachers, administrators, and curriculum directors will appreciate the clear guidance for conducting a systematic review of core program materials. A highly effective tool for examining the quality of early literacy materials, ELMS is the first of its kind, and will be a welcome resource.'uSusan B. Neuman, ProfessorUniversity of Michigan'A much needed resource for considering features of curriculum materials in a systematic way. I know of no other tool like it for early childhood materials.'uJudith A. SchickedanzBoston University.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Kathleen Roskos, Lisa Lenhart, Brandi Noll ; foreword by Carol Vukelich.
- 9781452241647 (pbk. : acid-free paper)
- 1452241643 (pbk. : acid-free paper)