International law and freshwater : the multiple challenges
- edited by Laurence Boisson de Chazournes, Christina Leb, Mara Tignino.
- Cheltenham, UK ; Northampton, MA, USA : Edward Elgar, c2013.
- Physical description
- xix, 463 p. : ill., maps ; 24 cm.
- New horizons in environmental and energy law.
Law Library (Crown)
|K3498 .I58 2013||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction / Laurence Boisson de Chazournes, Christina Leb, and Mara Tignino
- The law of international watercourses : achievements and challenges / Lucius Caflisch
- Water security, perceptions and politics : the context for international watercourse negotiations / David Grey and Dustin Garrick
- Water and sanitation as human rights : why does it matter? / Catarina de Albuquerque
- Water rights of indigenous peoples and local communities / Dinah Shelton
- Do people have rights in boundaries' delimitations? / Marcelo Kohen and Mara Tignino
- The codification of universal norms : a means to promote cooperation and equity? / Stephen C. McCaffrey
- A scalable approach towards realizing tangible benefits in transboundary river basins and regions / Jakob Granit and Marius Claasen
- Regional contributions to international water cooperation : the UNECE contribution / Attila Tanzi
- Transboundary water resources and international law : the example of the aquifer management of the Geneva region (Switzerland and France) / Gabriel de los Cobos
- The Guaraní Aquifer Framework Agreement (2010) / Lilian del Castillo-Laborde
- The Senegal River legal regime and its contribution to the development of the law of international watercourses in Africa / Makane Moïse Mbengue
- The contribution of procedural rules to the environmental protection of transboundary rivers in light of recent ICJ case law / Owen McIntyre
- WTO and trade in natural resources / Valerie Hughes and Gabrielle Marceau
- Virtual water, "land grab" and international law / Ellen Hey
- Competing water use in large-scale commercial farms : Ethiopia / Bahakal Abate Yimer
- Do judicial decisions settle water-related disputes? / Awn S. Al-Khasawneh
- Mediation of international water disputes : the Indus, the Jordan, and the Nile Basins interventions / Salman M.A. Salman
- India and Pakistan's truculent cooperation : can it continue? / Undala Alam
- State succession to water treaties : uncertain streams / Christina Leb and Mara Tignino.
- Publisher's Summary
- The issues surrounding water embody some of the greatest challenges of the 21st century. The editors of this timely book have brought together the leading authors in the field to explore the key questions involving international law and water governance. International Law and Freshwater connects recent legal developments through the breadth and synergies of a multidisciplinary analysis. It addresses such critical issues as water security, the right to water, international cooperation and dispute resolution, State succession to transboundary watercourse treaties, and facets of international economic law, including trade in 'virtual water' and the impacts of 'land grabs'. Containing detailed analysis and thought-provoking solutions, this book will appeal to researchers and academics working in the legal field, as well as international relations and natural sciences. Water practitioners, public officials, diplomats and students will also find much to interest them in this insightful study.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781781005088 20160610
- Publication date
- New horizons in environmental and energy law
- Papers from a conference held in Geneva in July 2011.
- 9781781005088 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 1781005087 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 1781005095 (ebook)
- 9781781005095 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: