Performing Nordic heritage : everyday practices and institutional culture
- edited by Peter Aronsson, Lizette Gradén.
- Farnham, Surrey, England ; Burllington, VT : Ashgate, c2013.
- Physical description
- xi, 346 p. ; 24 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Contents: Introduction: performing Nordic heritage: institutional and popular practices, Peter Aronsson and Lizette Graden-- Walking Nordic: performing space, place and identity, Susanne Osterlund-Potzsch-- 'Something in the air': performing the North within Norden, Katla Kjartansdottir and Kristin Schram-- A windmill and a vikinghjem: the importance of visual icons as heritage tropes among Danish-Americans, Hanne Pico Larsen-- Negotiating local, national and Nordic identities through commemorations, Ingemar Lindarang and Torbjorn Eng-- Banal Nordism: recomposing an old song of peace, Stuart Burch-- 'Nordic' as border country rhetoric: Danish versus German in South Jutland museums and memorial culture, Olav Christensen-- Performing Nordic spaces in Scandinavian-American museums-- gift-exchange, volunteerism, and curatorial practice, Lizette Graden-- The geopolitics of distinction: negotiating regional spaces in the Baltic museums, Egle Rindeviciute-- Sweden versus Norden in Nordiska museet, Magdalena Hillstrom-- Performing the Nordic in museums: changing ideas of Norden and their political implications, Peter Aronsson-- Conclusion: performing Nordic spaces in everyday life and museums, Peter Aronsson and Lizette Graden-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The performance of heritage takes place in prestigious institutions such as museums and archives, in officially sanctioned spaces such as jubilees and public monuments, but also in more mundane, ephemeral and banal cultural practices, such as naming of phenomena, viewing exhibitions or walking in the countryside. This volume examines the performance of Nordic heritage and the shaping of the very idea of Norden in diverse contexts in North America, the Baltic and the Nordic countries and examines the importance of these places as sites for creating and preserving cultural heritage.Offering rich perspectives on a part of Europe which has not been the centre of discussion in the Anglophone world, this volume will be of value to a wide readership, including cultural historians, museum practitioners, policy-makers and scholars of heritage, ethnology and folkloristics.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- National characteristics, Scandinavian.
- Ethnicity > Social aspects > Scandinavia.
- Ethnicity > Social aspects > North America.
- Ethnicity > Social aspects > Baltic States.
- Scandinavian Americans > Ethnic identity.
- Scandinavians > Baltic States > Ethnic identity.
- Historic preservation > Social aspects.
- Cultural property > Protection > Social aspects.
- Museums > Social aspects.
- Popular culture > Social aspects.
- Publication date
- The Nordic experience
- 9781409448341 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 1409448347 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9781409448358 (ebook - PDF)
- 1409448355 (ebook - PDF)
- 9781409473305 (ebook - ePUB)
- 1409473309 (ebook - ePUB)