Deep things out of darkness : a history of natural history
- Anderson, John G. T., 1957-
- Berkeley : University of California Press, c2013.
- Physical description
- xvi, 346 p. : ill., maps ; 24 cm.
QH15 .A72 2013
- Unknown QH15 .A72 2013
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 293-318) and index.
- Contents List of Illustrations Preface Acknowledgments Introduction: Adam's Task, Job's Challenge 1. From Hunter-Gatherers to Kings of Kings 2. A Wonderful Man: Aristotle and Greek Natural History 3. The Spoils of an Empire 4. An Emperor and His Descendants 5. New Worlds 6. Ray, Linnaeus, and the Ordering of the World 7. Journeys Near and Far 8. Before the Origin 9. Forms Most Beautiful: Darwin 10. The Geography of Nature: Humboldt 11. Hearts of Light: Wallace and Bates 12. Spoils of Other Empires 13. Breadfruit and Icebergs 14. Naturalists in New England: Thoreau, Agassiz, and Gray 15. From Muir and Alexander to Leopold and Carson 16. The Slow Death (and Resurrection) of Natural History Notes References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Natural history, the deliberate observation of the environment, is arguably the oldest science. From purely practical beginnings as a way of finding food and shelter, natural history evolved into the holistic, systematic study of plants, animals, and the landscape. "Deep Things out of Darkness" chronicles the rise, decline, and ultimate revival of natural history within the realms of science and public discourse. Ecologist John G. T. Anderson focuses his account on the lives and contributions of an eclectic group of men and women, from John Ray, John Muir, Charles Darwin, and Rachel Carson, who endured remarkable hardships and privations in order to learn more about their surroundings. Written in an engaging narrative style and with an extensive bibliography of primary sources, the book charts the journey of the naturalist's endeavor from prehistory to the present, underscoring the need for natural history in an era of dynamic environmental change.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- John G.T. Anderson.
- 9780520273764 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0520273761 (cloth : alk. paper)