Creating innovators : the making of young people who will change the world
- Tony Wagner ; with supplementary video material by Robert A. Compton.
- 1st Scribner hardcover ed.
- New York : Scribner, 2012.
- Physical description
- xviii, 270 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1607.5 .W33 2012||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- A note on how to use this book
- A primer on innovation
- Portrait of the innovator as a young man
- STEM innovators
- Social innovators
- Innovating learning
- The future of innovation
- Conclusion: redefining authority
- Epilogue: letter to a young innovator
- Afterword / by Robert A. Compton
- Publisher's Summary
- In this ground-breaking book, education expert Tony Wagner provides a powerful rationale for developing an innovation-driven economy. He explores what parents, teachers, and employers must do to develop the capacities of young people to become innovators. He profiles compelling young American innovators, revealing how the adults in their lives nurtured their creativity and sparked their imagination, while teaching them to learn from failure and persevere. Wagner identifies a pattern-a childhood of creative play leads to deep-seated interests, which in adolescence and adulthood blossom into a deeper purpose for career and life goals. Play, passion, and purpose: these are the forces that drive young innovators. Wagner then looks more widely at the education system and shows how we can apply this knowledge as educators, and what parents can do to compensate for poor schooling. He takes readers into the most forward-thinking schools, colleges, and workplaces in the country, where teachers and employers are developing cultures of innovation based on collaboration, interdisciplinary problem-solving, and intrinsic motivation. The result is a timely, provocative and inspiring manifesto that will change how we look at our schools and workplaces, and provide us with a roadmap to creating the changemakers of tomorrow.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781451611496 20160610
- Publication date
- 9781451611496 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 1451611498 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9781451611519 (trade paper : alk. paper)
- 145161151X (trade paper : alk. paper)
- 9781451611526 (ebook)
- 9781442354807 (eaudio)
Browse related items
Start at call number: