Survival and development of language communities : prospects and challenges
- edited by F. Xavier Vila.
- Bristol, UK ; Buffalo : Multilingual Matters, c2013.
- Physical description
- xii, 218 p. : ill., maps ; 22 cm.
- Mulitlingual matters
Education Library (Cubberley)
|P119.32 .E85 S87 2013||Unknown|
- Vila, F. Xavier.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. F. Xavier Vila and Vanessa Bretxa: The analysis of medium-sized language communities 2. Ji?i Nekvapil: The Main Challenges Facing Czech as a Medium-Sized Language: The State of Affairs at the Beginning of the 21st Century 3. J. Normann Jorgensen: Challenges facing Danish as a medium-sized language 4. Maja Bitenc: Slovene, between purism and plurilingualism 5. Anat Stavans: Challenges faced by a medium-sized language community (MSLC) in the twentieth century: the case of Hebrew 6. Delaney Michael Skerrett: Challenges for the Estonian language: a poststructuralist perspective 7. Uldis Ozolins: A small national language and its multilingual challenges: the case of Latvian 8. Emili Boix-Fuster and Jaume Farras I Farras: Is Catalan a medium-sized language community too? 9. F. Xavier Vila: Challenges and opportunities for MSLCs in the 21st century: a (preliminary) synthesis.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781847698353 20160615
- Publisher's Summary
- Too small to be big, but also too big to be really small, medium-sized language communities (MSLCs) face their own challenges in a rapidly globalising world where multilingualism and mobility seem to be eroding the old securities that the monolingual nation states provided. The questions to be answered are numerous: What are the main areas in which the position of these languages is actually threatened? How do these societies manage their diversity (both old and new)? Has state machinery really become as irrelevant in terms of language policy as their portrayals often suggest? This book explores the responses to these and other challenges by seven relatively successful MSLCs, so that their lessons can be applied more generally to other languages striving for long term survival.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781847698360 20160610
- Language policy > Europe > History > 21st century.
- Language policy > Europe, Central > History > 21st century.
- Language policy > Europe, Eastern > History > 21st century.
- Language planning > Europe > 21st century.
- Language planning > Europe, Central > 21st century.
- Language planning > Europe, Eastern > 21st century.
- Language and languages > Variation > Europe.
- Publication date
- 9781847698353 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 1847698352 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781847698346 (pbk : alk. paper)
- 1847698344 (pbk : alk. paper)
- 9781847698360 (ebook)
- 1847698360 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: