The place of provenance : regional styles in Tibetan painting
- David P. Jackson ; with a contribution by Rob Linrothe.
- New York : Rubin Museum of Art, c2012.
- Physical description
- xix, 235 p. : ill. (some col.), col. maps ; 31 cm.
- Masterworks of Tibetan painting series ; 4th v.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 224-229) and index.
- Attributing provenances to Tibetan paintings
- Local styles in Tibetan painting
- The painting styles of Ü Province
- The painting styles of Tsang Province
- The Painting styles of Kham Province
- The painting styles of Amdo Province
- The painting traditions in Ngari Province
- Painting styles in outlying Tibetan Buddhist Countries
- Looking East, facing up: Paintings in Karma Gardri styles in Ladakh and Zangskar / Rob Linrothe.
- Publisher's Summary
- Historians of Tibetan painting struggle to establish such basic points as iconographical content, place of origin, age, religious affiliation, and painting school or style, especially when confronted by portable works that were removed from their original monasteries and scattered throughout the world. In this groundbreaking book, the authors locate paintings geographically using a method similar to that used for locating paintings in time. In both cases they identify the historical people connected with the painting by analyzing the portraits, inscriptions, and lineages that it contains. Then, by establishing where the key people involved in the painting lived and died, and with which monasteries and traditions they were most closely linked, they draw conclusions about the painting's provenance and style, providing a bedrock of scholarship to support a new era in the field of Tibetan art history. David Jackson is a curator with the Rubin Museum of Art, New York, and formerly professor of Tibetan in the Asia and Africa Institute of Hamburg University. Rob Linrothe is associate professor of art history at Northwestern University.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780984519057 20160610
- Publication date
- Masterworks of Tibetan painting series ; 4
- Published in conjunction with an exhibition organized and presented by the Rubin Museum of Art, New York, October 2, 2012, through March 25, 2013, and curated by David P. Jackson and Karl Debreczeny.
- 9780984519057 (hbk.)
- 098451905X (hbk.)
- 9780984519040 (pbk.)
- 0984519041 (pbk.)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: