Schooling in the age of austerity : urban education and the struggle for democratic life
- Alexander J. Means.
- 1st ed.
- New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
- Physical description
- 186 p. ; 24 cm.
- New frontiers in education, culture, and politics.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LC5131 .M37 2013
- Unknown LC5131 .M37 2013
- Means, Alexander J., 1977-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -174) and index.
- Introduction: Schooling in a Time of Crisis and Austerity PART I: NEOLIBERAL SCHOOLING AND THE POLITICS OF SECURITY Securing Precarious Urban Futures Chicago and the Management of Social Research PART II: NARRATIVES OF ENCLOSURE AND POSSIBILITY Learning by Dispossession: Objective Violence and Educational Failure Criminality or Sociality: A Zero Sum Game? Searching for Human Security and Citizenship Conclusion: Public Schooling for a Common Security.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Schooling in the Age of Austerity details how neoliberal privatization, austerity, and militarized policing are subverting the educative and human development capacity of urban public schools. Through a richly textured case study in a public high school in the city of Chicago, Means foregrounds the voices of educators and youth to create a vivid three-dimensional account of systemic violence and its devastating impact on public education and the security of young people at the margins of the new urban geography. Ultimately, despite the current challenges facing urban schools and communities, Means demonstrates that there exists a strong desire for change that can be built upon and nurtured in order to develop more ethical and restorative approaches to urban education and more equitable and democratic futures for young people.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Urban schools > United States > Case studies.
- Public schools > United States > Case studies.
- Children with social disabilities > Education > United States > Case studies.
- Education > Social aspects > United States > Case studies.
- Equality > United States > Case studies.
- Neoliberalism > United States > Case studies.
- Publication date
- New frontiers in education, culture, and politics
- 9781137032034 (hardback)
- 1137032030 (hardback)
- 9781137032041 (pbk.)
- 1137032049 (pbk.)