Change leader : learning to do what matters most
- Michael Fullan.
- 1st ed.
- San Francisco : Jossey-Bass/Wiley, c2011.
- Physical description
- xvii, 172 p. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|HD57.7 .F85 2011||Unknown|
- Fullan, Michael.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface xi Acknowledgments xv About the Author xvii CHAPTER ONE: Practice Drives Theory: Doing Is the Crucible of Change 1 CHAPTER TWO: Be Resolute: Act with Purpose and Empathy 27 CHAPTER THREE: Motivate the Masses: Experiencing Is Believing 49 CHAPTER FOUR: Collaborate to Compete: Multiply Capacity and Win 87 CHAPTER FIVE: Learn Confidently: Change Requires Confidence (but True Confidence Requires Humility) 109 CHAPTER SIX: Know Your Impact: Drowning in Data, Thirsty for Knowledge 125 CHAPTER SEVEN: Sustain Simplexity: Just Right Simple 147 References 157 Index 165.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780470582138 20160610
- Publisher's Summary
- We live in a challenging, complex, inter-connected and unpredictable world beset by a range of seemingly insoluble problems. But, says Michael Fullan--an internationally acclaimed authority on organizational change--we have an increasing understanding of how to tackle complex change. This involves developing a new kind of leader: one who recognizes what is needed to bring about deep and lasting changes in living systems at all levels. These leaders need a deep understanding of what motivates us as human beings and how we tap into and influence other people's self-motivation. In his previous best-selling books The Six Secrets of Change , Leading in a Culture of Change , and Turnaround Leadership , Michael Fullan examined the concepts and processes of change. In Change Leader he turns his focus to the core practices of leadership that are so vital for leading in today's complex world. He reveals seven core practices for today's leaders, all of which appear to be deceptively simple but actually get to the essence of what differentiates a powerful leader from one who is merely competent: Practice Drives Theory Be Resolute Motivate the Masses Collaborate to Compete Learn Confidently Know Your Impact Sustain Simplexity Throughout the book Fullan argues that powerful leaders have built bedrocks of credibility, have learned how to identify the few things that matter most, and know how to leverage their skills in ways that benefit their entire organization. The author shows leaders how to avoid policies and strategies that focus on shallow and short-term goals and develop leadership skills for long-term success. With a wealth of illustrative examples from business, education, nonprofit, and government sectors Change Leader provides a much-needed leadership guide for today's turbulent climate.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780470582138 20160610
- Supplemental links
Table of contents only
Contributor biographical information
- Publication date
Browse related items
Start at call number: