Educating for democratic consciousness : counter-hegemonic possibilities
- New York : Peter Lang, 
- Physical description
- xii, 292 p. ; 23 cm.
- Critical studies in democracy & political literacy ; v. 3.
LC1091 .E38417 2013
- Unknown LC1091 .E38417 2013
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Contents: Daniel Schugurensky: Foreword. Democracy Does Not Fall From the Sky - Paul R. Carr/Ali A. Abdi: Framing Contemporary Democracy and the Potential for Counterhegemonic Possibilities - Ali A. Abdi: Recontextualizing and Reculturing Education for Democratic Consciousness: Social and Philosophical Analyses - Paul R. Carr: Reshaping the Democratic Truth, and Rethinking Democracy without Elections - George J. Sefa Dei: Democratic Education, Thinking Out Differently - Ranilce Guimaraes-Iosif: Reinventing Democracy: Challenges and Counterhegemonic Alternatives for Brazilian Education - Pierre Orelus: Relocating the Debate on Democracy, Language, and Schooling: Challenges for Educators Working with Linguistically and Culturally Diverse Students - Lynette Shultz: The End of the Obedient Neoliberal Citizen: Differential Consciousness and Reimagining Citizenship in a Time of Transformation - Dennis Carlson: Democratic Public Education in the Age of Empire and the Multitude - Randy Hoover: Animating Democracy: The Civic and Pedagogical Imperatives - Peter Pericles Trifonas: What We Are Willing to Know: Deconstructing UNESCO - M. Ayaz Naseem/Adeela Arshad-Ayaz: Education and Democracy under Neoliberal Knowledge Imperialism - Michael O'Sullivan: Challenging Neoliberal Anti-Intellectualism, Consumerism, and Utilitarianism: Achieving Deweyian and Freirean Visions of Critically Engaged Citizens - Gina Thesee: Democracy as a Practice of Resistance and Resilience against Tyranny - William M. Reynolds: Iron Man Democracy: Militainment and Democratic Possibilities - Noah De Lissovoy: Inventing Democracy: Teaching and Togetherness - Kristina R. Llewellyn/Joel Westheimer: Vibrant Democracy Requires More Than Facts and Acts: Ordinary Politics for Youth Political Engagement - Angela Stienen/Carl E. James: Multiculturalism and Democratization in Switzerland and Canada - Vicki Macris: National Identity and the Education of Immigrants: Greece and the Rights of Non-Citizens.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This book has received the AESA (American Educational Studies Association) Critics Choice Award 2013. There is a widespread, but mainly untenable, assumption that education in Western societies (and elsewhere) intuitively and horizontally aids the democratic development of people. An argument could be made that in contemporary liberal democracies, education was never designed for the well-being of societies. Instead of the full inclusion of everyone in educational development, it becomes dominated by those with a vested interest in the role of the liberal state as a mediating agent that, ultimately, assures the supremacy of the capitalism and neoliberalism. This book extends beyond a theoretical analysis of democratic education, seeking to tap into the substantial experiences, perspectives and research of a wide range of leading scholars from diverse vantage points, who bring themselves and their work into the debate connecting democracy and education, which elucidates the reference to counter-hegemonic possibilities in the title.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Ali A. Abdi & Paul R. Carr.
- Critical studies in democracy & political literacy, 2166-5036 ; vol. 3
- 9781433117114 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 1433117118 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9781433117107 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 143311710X (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781453909171 (e-book)