Poverty reduction and changing policy regimes in Botswana
- edited by Onalenna Selolwane.
- Basingstoke, Hampshire ; New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2012.
- Physical description
- xvii, 247 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Developmental pathways to poverty reduction series.
- Selolwane, Onalenna, 1955-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- From National to People's Poverty in Changing Policy Regimes-- O.Selolwane Development Strategies and Poverty Reduction in Botswana-- H.Siphambe Wealth and Income Inequalities-- I.Mogotsi Welfare, Social Protection and Poverty Reduction-- O.Selolwane Basic Social Services and Poverty Reduction in Botswana-- K.Nthomang Organized Interests, Development Strategies and Social Policies-- O.Selolwane Developmental State Capacity, Poverty Reduction and Institutional Reform-- G.Maipose.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781137270160 20160610
- Publisher's Summary
- This book examines how Botswana overcame the legacies of exceptional resource deficiency, colonial neglect and a harsh physical environment to transform itself from one of the poorest nations of the world to a middle income economy with significant reductions in people's poverty. It reviews the interactions of economic, social and institutional policies and how these reinforced one another to produce the poverty outcomes that they did from the initial socio-economic conditions. In particular it illustrates how the chosen development strategies consistently tied social and economic policies to achieve, on the one hand, re-distribution, protection and reproduction and, on the other, investment in production and human capabilities. The substantive areas covered include trends in economic development strategies and outcome; social policies and strategies and their impact on poverty and productive capacity; income and wealth distribution; the role of organized interest groups in policy development; and institutional development, state capacity and politics.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781137270160 20160610
- Publication date
- Developmental pathways to poverty reduction series
- 9781137270160 (hbk.)
- 1137270160 (hbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: