Fed-batch cultures : Principles and Applications of Semi-Batch Bioreactors
TP248.25 .B55 L56 2013
- Unknown TP248.25 .B55 L56 2013
- Shin, Hwa Sung, 1974-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. Introduction to fed-batch bioreactors-- 2. Idealised reactors and fed-batch reactors-- 3. Maximisation of reaction rates and fed-batch operation-- 4. Phenomena that favour fed-batch operations-- 5. Classification and characteristics of fed-batch cultures-- 6. Models based on mass balance equations-- 7. Non-equation-based models-- 8. Experimental determination of specific rates-- 9. Optimization via Pontryagin's maximum principle-- 10. Computational techniques-- 11. Optimization of single and multiple isothermal reactions-- 12. Optimization of fed-batch cultures for cell mass production-- 13. Optimization of fed-batch cultures for metabolites-- 14. Simple, intuitive adaptive optimization-- 15. Measurements, estimation and control-- 16. Feasibility assessment and implementable feed rates.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Many, if not most, industrially important fermentation and bioreactor operations are carried out in fed-batch mode, producing a wide variety of products. In spite of this, there is no single book that deals with fed-batch operations. This is the first book that presents all the necessary background material regarding the 'what, why and how' of optimal and sub-optimal fed-batch operations. Numerous examples are provided to illustrate the application of optimal fed-batch cultures. This unique book, by world experts with decades of research and industrial experience, is a must for researchers and industrial practitioners of fed-batch processes (modeling, control and optimization) in biotechnology, fermentation, food, pharmaceuticals and waste treatment industries.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Henry C. Lim, University of California, Irvine, Hwa Sung Shin, Inha University.
- Cambridge series in chemical engineering
- 9780521513364 (hardback)
- 0521513367 (hardback)