Beyond courage : the untold story of Jewish resistance during the Holocaust
- Rappaport, Doreen.
- 1st ed.
- Somerville, Mass. : Candlewick Press, c2012.
- Physical description
- 228 p. : ill., maps ; 26 cm.
D804.6 .R37 2012
- Unknown D804.6 .R37 2012
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 209-221) and index.
- The realization : " I am a Jew and will be a Jew forever". Hitler in power : Germany, 1933-1938. The turning point : Berlin Germany ; A wrenching decision : Berlin, Germany
- Saving the future : "While you have breath". Hitler's campaign for world domination. Coffee and tea : Amsterdam, the Occupied Netherlands ; No more Saras : Occupied Belgium ; The most important game : Annemasse, Occupied France ; "You do not know the extent of my courage" : Annemasse, Occupied France ; In the forests. A shtetl in the wilderness : Naliboki Forest, Occupied Poland
- In the ghettos : "Broken people". The Final Solution. The Warsaw Ghetto Uprising : Occupied Poland ; "Scream the truth at the world!" : the Ringelblum Archive, Warsaw Ghetto, Occupied Poland ; A banner raised : Theresienstadt Ghetto, Occupied Czechoslovakia ; "Resist to our last breath" : Vilna Ghetto, Occupied Lithuania
- In the camps : "During the cold nights". Transit camps. The ambush : Mechelen, Occupied Belgium ; Labor camps. Three feet a day : Novogrudok Labor Camp, Occupied Belorussia ; Concentration camps. A secret celebration : Kaufering IV Labor Camp, Hurlach, Germany ; The Sonderkommando Revolt : Auschwitz-Birkenau, Occupied Poland ; Death camps. "Like thunder in the spring" : Sobibor Death Camp, Occupied Poland
- Partisan warfare : "This song was written with our blood, and not with lead". Harassing the enemy. Sabotage! : Berlin, Germany ; Phantom patriots. Long live the Resistance! : Paris, Occupied France ; The occupation of Greece. Invisible warriors : Evvia, Occupied Greece ; Young warriors. The violinist : Ovruch, Occupied Ukraine
- "I am a Jew and will be a Jew forever".
- "Through twenty-one meticulously researched accounts-- some chronicled in book form for the first time-- Doreen Rappaport illuminates the defiance of tens of thousands of Jews across eleven Nazi-occupied countries during World War II."--Amazon.com.
- Publication date
- 9780763629762 (hbk.)
- 0763629766 (hbk.)