Community music today
- edited by Kari K. Veblen ... [et al.].
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Education, c2013.
- Physical description
- ix, 315 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS FOREWORD Lee Higgins LIST OF FIGURES
- Chapter 1. The Tapestry: Introducing Community Music
- Kari Veblen
- Section I: COMMUNITY MUSIC IN GLOBAL CONTEXT
- Chapter 2. North America: Historical Foundations
- Jeff Bush, Andrew Krikun
- Chapter 3. Community Music in the United Kingdom
- Kathryn Deane, Phil Mullen
- Chapter 4. Community Music in the Nordic Countries: Politics,
- Research, Programs, and Educational Significance Sidsel Karlsen, Heidi Westerlund, Heidi Partti, Einar Solbu
- Chapter 5. Community Music in Africa: Perspectives from South Africa, Kenya, and Eritrea Elizabeth Oehrle, David Akombo, Elias Weldegebriel
- Chapter 6. Community Music in Australia and New Zealand Aotearoa Brydie Leigh Bartleet, Shelley Brunt, Anja Tait, and Catherine Trelfall
- Chapter 7. Community Music in East Asia
- Chi Cheung Leung, Mari Siobara, Christine Yau
- Section II: INTERCONNECTIONS
- Chapter 8. Intergenerational Music Learning in Community and Schools
- Carol Beynon, Chris Alfano
- Chapter 9. Music Learning as a Lifespan Endeavor
- David Myers, Chelcy Bowles, Will Dabback
- Chapter 10. Community Music Through Authentic Engagement: Bridging Community, School, and University Programs
- Sylvia Chong, Deborah Rohwer, Donna Emmanuel, Nathan Kruse Rineke Smilde
- Chapter 11. Digital Community: Sharing, Teaching, Exploring Stephen J. Messenger III: MARGINALIZED MUSICS AND COMMUNITIES
- Chapter 12. Marginalized Communities: Reaching Those Falling Outside Socially Accepted Norms Sheila Woodward, Catherine Pestano
- Chapter 13. Person Growth through Music: The Oakdale Prison
- Community Choir and Community Music for Homeless Populations In New York City Mary Cohen, Marissa Silverman
- Chapter 14. Reaching out to Participants who are Challenged
- Donald De Vito, Arthur Gill
- Chapter 15. Diverse Communities, Inclusive Practice
- Magali Kleber, Dochy Lichtenstein, Claudia Gluschankof IV: PERFORMING ENSEMBLES: ARTISTRY, ADVOCACY AND SOCIAL JUSTICE
- Chapter 16. Community Choirs: Expressions of Identity through
- Vocal Performance Susan Avery, Casey Hayes, Cindy Bell
- Chapter 17. Instrumental Ensembles: Community Case Studies from Brazil and the USA Don Coffman, Joel Barbosa
- Chapter 18. Expressing Faith through Vocal Performance Hussein Janmohamed, Cindy Bell, Mehnaz Thawer
- Chapter 19. Community Music and Sustainability Worldwide:
- Ecosystems of Engaged Music Making Huip Schippers, Richard Letts
- Chapter 20. Resources in Community Music
- Janice Waldron, Steven Moser, Kari Veblen About the Authors.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Community Music Today highlights community music workers who constantly improvise and reinvent to lead through music and other expressive media. It answers the perennial question "What is community music?" through a broad, international palette of contextual shades, hues, tones, and colors. With over fifty musician/educators participating, the book explores community music in global contexts, interconnections, and marginalized communities, as well as artistry and social justice in performing ensembles. This book is both a response to and a testimony of what music is and can do, music's place in people's lives, and the many ways it unites and marks communities. As documented in case studies, community music workers may be musicians, teachers, researchers, and activists, responding to the particular situations in which they find themselves. Their voices are the threads of the multifaceted tapestry of musical practices at play in formal, informal, nonformal, incidental, and accidental happenings of community music.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- "Published in partnership with NAfME: National Association for Music Education."
- 9781607093190 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1607093197 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781607093206 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1607093200 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781607093213 (ebook)
- 1607093219 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: