Renaissance encounters : Greek East and Latin West
- edited by Marina S. Brownlee, Dimitri H. Gondicas.
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2013.
- Physical description
- xvii, 314 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 25 cm.
- Medieval and Renaissance authors and texts v. 8.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- List of Illustrations ... ix List of Contributors ... xv Introduction Hellenic Studies at Princeton: Thirtieth Anniversary ... 3 Dimitri Gondicas The Perils of Periodization ... 5 Marina S. Brownlee Renaissance Encounters: Preface ... 9 Peter Brown Part one: Philosophical and Political Exchanges George Gemistos Plethon and the West: Greek Emigres, Latin Scholasticism, and Renaissance Humanism ... 19 John Monfasani Renaissance Encounters: Byzantium Meets the West at the Council of Ferrara-Florence 1438-9 ... 35 Judith Herrin and Stuart M. McManus Byzantine and Italian Political Thought Concerning the Rise of Cities before the Renaissance ... 57 Teresa Shawcross Part Two: Monastic Syncretism The Meeting of East and West in Medieval Monasticism in Sicily and South Italy ... 97 Giles Constable Betwixt or Beyond? The Salento in the Fourteenth and Fifteenth Centuries ... 115 Linda Safran Part Three: Iconic Dialogues Between East and West: The Symbolism of Space in the Art of Domenikos Theotokopoulos (El Greco) ... 147 Maria Evangelatou Linguistic Encounters: The Presence of Spoken Greek in Sixteenth-Century Venice ... 185 Marc D. Lauxtermann Part Four: Romance Issues Boccaccio and the Greek World of His Time: A Missing Link in the "True Story of the Novel"? ... 207 Roderick Beaton Byzantine Romances: Eastern or Western? ... 217 Elizabeth Jeffreys Part Five: The Currency of Fashion The Mediterranean Melting Pot: Monetary Crosscurrents of the Twelfth through Fifteenth Centuries ... 237 Alan M. Stahl Encounters in the Realm of Dress: Attitudes towards Western Styles in the Greek East ... 259 Maria G. Parani Index ... 000 i-.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9789004235915 20160610
- Publisher's Summary
- This book offers a series of explorations of the cultural interactions (social, political, economic, religious and artistic) that were instrumental in articulating how the empires of Byzantium and the West each defined themselves amid and against one another.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9789004235915 20160610
- Publication date
- Medieval and Renaissance authors and texts, 0925-7683 ; v. 8
- 9789004235915 (Cloth)
- 9004235914 (Cloth)
Browse related items
Start at call number: