Fragments of two medical treatises written in Judaeo-Arabic
- [Morocco and Spain, 13th and14th centuries]
- Physical description
- 2 folders (3 leaves)
Also available at
At the library
Limited on-site access
Researchers in the Stanford community can request to view these materials in the Special Collections Reading Room. Entry to the Reading Room is by appointment only.
|MISC 1832||In-library use|
- Rāzī, Abū Bakr Muḥammad ibn Zakarīyā, 865?-925? author.
Folder 1. Excerpt from the Kitab al-Mansuri of al-Razi. 14th century copy from northern Iberia (probably Mallorca). A complete leaf written in Judaeo-Arabic using square Hebrew script, 31 lines, double columns, brown ink, headings in red, ruled with a hard point, contemporary Latin marginalia in brown ink in a neat documentary script. This section of the text discusses the medical properties of various foods, and includes a title "On the effect of pickles and sour substances." [From Rowan Dorin]
- Folder 2. Unidentified materia medica, 14th century, Maghreb. Two nearly complete leaves, written in Judaeo-Arabic on parchment, text in double columns of Hebrew script, 36 lines, brown ink, headings in red. The text bears the imprint of a second text (presumably a result of being bound alongside it); this is written in Hebrew in a single column, 13/14th century, and contains an unidentified materia medica. The main text is organized by illnesses and cures, and include entries 'On the causes of hiccuping" and "On the treatment for hiccuping." One of the leaves has a later marginal annotation in Castilian, indicating that it was previously used as a binding pastedown in a book belonging to García de Aybar, a canon of the cathedral of Tarazona who died in 1530. [From Rowan Dorin]
- Earliest possible date
- Latest possible date
- Open for research; material must be requested at least 24 hours in advance of intended use.
- Purchased from the Dictionary collection of Thomas Malin Rodgers, 2012. Accession 2012-271.
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: