Passions and emotions
- edited by James E. Fleming.
- New York : New York University Press, c2013.
- Physical description
- xii, 338 p. ; 22 cm.
- Nomos ; 53.
- Fleming, James E.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Constructive sentimentalism: legal and political implications / Jesse J. Prinz
- Sentimentalism without relativism / Michael L. Frazer
- Legislating with affect: emotion and legislative law making / Carol Sanger
- The nature and ethics of vengeful anger / Charles L. Griswold
- Reason, passion, and democratic politics: old conceptions-new understandings-new possibilities / George E. Marcus
- Emotion and deliberation: the autonomous citizen in the social world / Susan A. Bandes
- Reliable democratic habits and emotions / Cheshire Calhoun
- Democracy and the nonsovereign self / Sharon R. Krause
- The anti-empathic turn / Robin West
- Systems and feelings / Ken I. Kersch
- Anti-empathy and dispassionateness in adjudication / Benjamin C. Zipursky
- Equity over empathy / Bernadette Meyler.
- Publisher's Summary
- Throughout the history of moral, political, and legal philosophy, many have portrayed passions and emotions as being opposed to reason and good judgment. At the same time, others have defended passions and emotions as tempering reason and enriching judgment, and there is mounting empirical evidence linking emotions to moral judgment. In Passions and Emotions, a group of prominent scholars in philosophy, political science, and law explore three clusters of issues: "Passion & Impartiality: Passions & Emotions in Moral Judgment"; "Passion & Motivation: Passions & Emotions in Democratic Politics"; and "Passion & Dispassion: Passions & Emotions in Legal Interpretation." This timely, interdisciplinary volume examines many of the theoretical and practical legal, political, and moral issues raised by such questions.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780814760147 20160609
- Publication date
- Nomos ; LIII
- 9780814760147 (hardback)
- 0814760147 (hardback)
- 9780814763490 (ebook)
- 0814763499 (ebook)
- 9780814760215 (ebook)
- 081476021X (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: