Common mosses of the Northeast and Appalachians
- Karl B. McKnight ... [et al.].
- Princeton, N.J. : Princeton University Press, c2013.
- Physical description
- 391 p. : col. ill. ; 20 cm.
- Princeton field guides.
Biology Library (Falconer)
|QK541.5 .A67 C66 2013||Unknown|
- McKnight, Karl B.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- How to Use this Book 9 Key Features 10 Key Features Path to the Keys 16 How to Look at a Moss 18 Collecting Mosses 20 What Are Mosses? 22 Basic Structure of Mosses 25 Life History of Mosses 26 What Good Are Mosses? 28 Species Treatments Acrocarps 33 Pleurocarps 173 Leafless 317 Peat Mosses 321 How to Use the Identification Keys 340 Keys 341 Habitat Lists 380 Moss Publications and Resources 384 Moss Names 385 Index 386.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780691156965 20160615
- Publisher's Summary
- This is the first book to help general readers recognize 200 common mosses of the Northeast and the Appalachian Mountains. With just this field guide, a hand lens, and a spray bottle--no microscopes necessary--readers will be able to identify and name many of the common species of mosses growing in the region's backyards, parks, forests, wetlands, and mountains. At the heart of this guide is an innovative, color-tabbed system that helps readers pick out small groups of similar species. Illustrated identification keys, colorful habitat and leaf photos, more than 600 detailed line drawings, and written descriptions help differentiate the species. This accessible book allows all nature enthusiasts to make accurate identifications and gain access to the enchanting world of mosses. 200 species included More than 600 detailed line drawings More than 400 color photographs Innovative color-tabbed system for species identification Illustrated species identification keys Helpful tips for moss collecting.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780691156965 20160615
- Publication date
- Princeton field guides
- 9780691156965 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0691156964 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: