Puro arte : Filipinos on the stages of empire
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 167-183) and index.
- Introduction: Putting on a Show
- "Which Way to the Philippines?" : United Stage of Empire
- "Splendid Dancing" : Of Filipinos and Taxi Dancehalls
- Coup de Theater : The Drama of Martial Law
- How in the Light of One Night Did We Come So Far : Working Miss Saigon
- Coda: Culture Shack.
- Publisher's Summary
- Puro Arte explores the emergence of Filipino American theatre and performance from the early 20th century to the present. It stresses the Filipino performing body's location as it conjoins colonial histories of the Philippines with U.S. race relations and discourses of globalization. Puro arte, translated from Spanish into English, simply means "pure art." In Filipino, puro arte however performs a much more ironic function, gesturing rather to the labour of over-acting, histrionics, playfulness, and purely over-the-top dramatics. In this book, puro arte functions as an episteme, a way of approaching the Filipino/a performing body at key moments in U.S.-Philippine imperial relations, from the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair, early American plays about the Philippines, Filipino patrons in U.S. taxi dance halls to the phenomenon of Filipino/a actors in Miss Saigon. Using this varied archive, Puro Arte turns to performance as an object of study and as a way of understanding complex historical processes of racialization in relation to empire and colonialism.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Filipino Americans > Ethnic identity.
- Ethnicity > Political aspects > Philippines.
- Performing arts > Political aspects > Philippines.
- Performing arts > Political aspects > United States.
- Popular culture > Political aspects > Philippines.
- Popular culture > Political aspects > United States.
- Nationalism > Social aspects > Philippines.
- Imperialism > Social aspects > Philippines.
- Philippines > Relations > United States.
- United States > Relations > Philippines.
- Publication date
- Lucy Mae San Pablo Burns.
- Postmillennial pop
- 9780814744437 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0814744435 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780814725450 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0814725457 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780814708132 (ebook)
- 0814708137 (ebook)
- 9780814744499 (ebook)
- 0814744494 (ebook)