Technological innovation and prize incentives : the Google Lunar X Prize and other aerospace competitions
- Luciano Kay.
- Cheltenham, UK ; Northampton, MA : Edward Elgar, c2012.
- Physical description
- xii, 237 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Engineering Library (Terman)
|TL537 .K39 2012||Unknown|
- Kay, Luciano.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 218-233) and index.
- Contents: Foreword 1. Introduction 2. Innovation, Policy and Prizes 3. Key Questions and Hypotheses 4. Methodological Aspects 5. A First Approach: The Ansari X Prize and the Northrop Grumman Lunar Lander Challenge 6. A Closer Look: The Google Lunar X Prize 7. Discussion 8. Theory, Policy and Research Implications 9. Conclusions Appendix References.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781781006474 20160610
- Publisher's Summary
- Inducement prizes - in which cash rewards are offered to motivate the attainment of specific targets - have long been used to stimulate scientific discovery and technology research and development. This volume presents an empirical investigation of the effect of these prizes on innovation. In this in-depth study, Luciano Kay focuses on three recent cases of prize competitions in the aerospace industry: the Google Lunar X Prize, the Ansari X Prize and the Northrop Grumman Lunar Lander Challenge. Using a combination of real-time and historical analysis based on personal interviews, workplace visits and questionnaire and document data analysis, the author examines the particular dynamics of the prize phenomenon and offers a comprehensive discussion of the potential of prizes to induce innovation. This fascinating volume also sets out a systematic method to studying prize incentives, offering a concrete innovation model and case study design approach that will prove highly useful to further research efforts in the field. Scholars, policymakers and corporate officials interested in incentives for innovation and the practical implementation of prize competitions will find this an invaluable resource. Potential prize sponsors and entrepreneurs, professionals and other individuals or organizations interested in participating in such competitions will also find much of interest in this groundbreaking book.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781781006474 20160610
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Google Lunar X Prize and other aerospace competitions
- 9781781006474 (hbk.)
- 1781006474 (hbk.)
- 1781006482 (ebook)
- 9781781006481 (ebook)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: