Whole child, whole school : applying theory to practice in a community school
- Eileen Santiago, JoAnne Ferrara, and Jane Quinn.
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Education, c2012.
- Physical description
- xii, 148 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2820 .S24 2012||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 145-148).
- Foreword: Dr. Pedro Noguera Chapter 1: Addressing the Needs of Children Lost in Our Public Schools by Embracing the Whole Child Chapter 2: The Core of Professional Competencies and Knowledge Essential to the Effective Implementation of a Community School Chapter 3: Teaching, Learning and Professional Development in the Community School Chapter 4: Community Schools As a Results Oriented Strategy Chapter 5: Sustaining the Community School Chapter 6: A Call To Action: National Implications for Policy and Practice Chapter 7: A Toolkit of Resources, Ideas and Inspirations References.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781610486064 20160615
- Publisher's Summary
- This book provides a unique examination on the ways in which educating the whole child in the community school serves to ameliorate the conditions of poverty and obstacles to learning faced by students. Using a case study approach the book will highlight the successful journey of one school that transformed itself into a community school. Given the rise in poverty nation-wide and the unprecedented economic crisis, many school districts are looking for innovative ways to garner resources for their schools. The strategies outlined in this book will provide suggestions for using the resources of community partnerships as a framework for school renewal and improvement in student achievement. The authors share their first hand experiences building a community school from the ground up, as well as providing the national perspective on community schools. Acknowledging the power of the "community" school, this book concludes with a "call to action" for the dissemination of this model and its embrace of whole child education.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781610486064 20160615
- Publication date
- 9781610486064 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1610486064 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781610486071 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1610486072 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781610486088 (electronic)
- 1610486080 (electronic)
Browse related items
Start at call number: