- Vivian Nutton.
- 2nd ed.
- Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2013.
- Physical description
- xiv, 488 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Sciences of antiquity.
- Nutton, Vivian.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 418-468) and index.
- Sources and Scope. Patterns of Disease. Before Hippocrates. Hippocrates, the Hippocratic Corpus and the Defining of Medicine. Hippocratic Theories. Hippocratic Practices. Religion and Medicine in Fifth- and Fourth-Century Greece. From Plato to Praxagoras. Alexandria, Anatomy and Experimentation. Hellenistic Medicine. Rome and the Transplantation of Greek Medicine. The Consequences of Empire: Pharmacology, Surgery and the Roman Army. The Rise of Methodism Humoral Alternatives. The Life and Career of Galen. Galenic Medicine. All Sorts and Conditions of (Mainly) Men. Medicine and the Religions of the Later Roman Empire. Medicine in the Later Roman Empire.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The first edition of Ancient Medicine was the most complete examination of the medicine of the ancient world for a hundred years. The new edition includes the key discoveries made since the first edition, especially from important texts discovered in recent finds of papyri and manuscripts, making it the most comprehensive and up-to-date survey available. Vivian Nutton pays particular attention to the life and work of doctors in communities, links between medicine and magic, and examines the different approaches to medicine across the ancient world. The new edition includes more on Rufus and Galen as well as augmented information on Babylonia, Hellenistic medicine and Late Antiquity. With recently discovered texts made accessible for the first time, and providing new evidence, this broad exploration challenges currently held perspectives, and proves an invaluable resource for students of both classics and the history of medicine.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Sciences of antiquity
- 9780415520942 (hbk : alk. paper)
- 0415520940 (hbk : alk. paper)
- 9780415520959 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415520959 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780203081297 (ebk)
- 0203081293 (ebk)
Browse related items
Start at call number: