The North part of America conteyning Newfoundland, New England, Virginia, Florida, New Spaine and Nova Francia, with ye riche Iles of Hispaniola, Cuba, Jamaica, and Porto Rieco, on the south, and upon ye west the large and goodly island of California... [cartographic material]
- R. Elstracke Sculpsit.
- [London : William Stansby for Henrie Fetherstone , 1625].
- Physical description
- 1 map : engraved ; 27 x 34 cm.
David Rumsey Map Center
All items must be viewed on site
Request items by Noon (12p) the day before your visit to allow for retrieval by staff. You can request at most 5 items per day.
|G3300  .B74||In-library use|
Images from the Glen McLaughlin Collection of California as an Island maps, a collection of nearly 750 maps obtained by Mr. McLaughlin over nearly 40 years. Included in the collection are hemisphere and world maps, celestial charts, title pages, globe gores and a medal. The dates range from 1622 to the mid-1800's.
- Publication date
- Map Data
- Scale [ca. 1:23,500,000] (W 255°--W 345°/N 65°--N 10°).
- The first printed map in English to show California as an island, with flat northern coast.
- Cities, etc. ; shoals; pictorial symbols; notes.
- Notes on map refer to California, Sr. Thomas Button and Mr. Baffin.
- Projection: simple conical.
- "852" & "853" inside neat line in top left & right corners of map.
- Engraved by: R. Elstrake Sculpsit (lower right).
- On the map are two notes, one stating"California sometymes supposed to be a part of ye westerne continent, but scince by a Spanish Charte taken by ye Hollanders it is found to be a goodly Ilande: the length of the west shoare beeing about 500 leagues..."
- Issued in: Hakluytus Posthumus or Purchas His Pilgrimes, III, 852-3. London, 1625, to accompany an article by H. Briggs on the Northwest Passage.
- Wagner, 295
- Wheat, 38
- Tooley, 1, Plate 26
- Leighly, 4, Plate III
- Portinaro, Plate LXX
- Goss, Plate 24
- McLaughlin map number 2.
- Related Work
- Purchas, Samuel, 1577?-1626. Purchas his Pilgrimage