Dimensions of racism [electronic resource] : proceedings of a workshop to commemorate the end of the United Nations third decade to combat racism and racial discrimination, Paris, 19-20 February 2003
- organized by the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) in cooperation with the United Nations / [edited by Kevin Boyle].
- New York : United Nations, 2005.
- Physical description
- v, 199 p. : ill., digital, PDF files
- Anti-discrimination series ; v. 1.
Also available at
Item is featured in an exhibit Item is featured in exhibits
- Includes bibliographical references.
- "The United Nations Third Decade to Combat Racism and Racial Discrimination ended in 2003. One of the Decade's educational activities was a workshop that brought together education and training experts, academics, United Nations human rights experts and individuals from non-governmental organizations (NGOs) working on racism and related issues. The purpose of the workshop was to develop educational materials for use by teachers and students on eliminating racial prejudice and fostering tolerance. The workshop, organized by the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) in cooperation with the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), took place in Paris on 19-20 February 2003. The background papers presented at the workshop analysed racism and racial discrimination in specific contexts, including in education, the workplace, health, migration, contemporary forms of slavery, the media, the criminal justice system, and the experience of double discrimination based on gender and race. Those papers form the basis of the chapters in this book. The aim of the publication is to provide a better understanding, on a cross-cultural basis, of racism, racial discrimination and xenophobia. It examines how these phenomena manifest themselves and are experienced by victims. It explains how racism is currently combated and how it can be prevented. The intention is to generate interest and encourage students in particular to develop ideas on how to fight racism, and to become involved in that fight."-P. iii.
- Race discrimination.
- Race discrimination > Cross-cultural studies.
- Xenophobia > Cross-cultural studies.
- Discrimination in education.
- Discrimination in education > Cross-cultural studies.
- Discrimination in employment.
- Discrimination in employment > Cross-cultural studies.
- HIV-positive persons > Civil rights.
- Sex discrimination against women.
- Sex discrimination against women > Cross-cultural studies.
- RACIAL DISCRIMINATION.
- HUMAN RIGHTS.
- ANTI-RACISM STRATEGIES.
- HUMAN RIGHTS EDUCATION.
- INTERNATIONAL LAW.
- EMPLOYMENT DISCRIMINATION.
- EQUAL OPPORTUNITY.
- TRAFFICKING IN PERSONS.
- MIGRANT WORKERS.
- ADMINISTRATION OF JUSTICE.
- MASS MEDIA.
- GENDER DISCRIMINATION.
- Publication date
- [Anti-discrimination series ; v. 1]
- Downloaded from http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Publications/DimensionsRacismen.pdf on Jan 11, 2013.