Becoming right : how campuses shape young conservatives
- Amy J. Binder and Kate Wood.
- Princeton, N.J. : Princeton University Press, c2013.
- Physical description
- xvii, 399 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Princeton studies in cultural sociology.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|JC573.2 .U6 B53 2013||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -379) and index.
- Preface ix Chapter 1: Introduction 1 Chapter 2: Who Are Conservative Students? 29 Chapter 3: Sponsored Conservatism: The Landscape of National Conservative Organizations 76 Chapter 4: How Conservatives Think about Campus: The Effects of College Reputations, Social Scenes, and Academics on Student Experience 113 Chapter 5: Provoking Liberals and Campaigning for Republicans: Two Conservative Styles at the Western Public Universities 161 Chapter 6: Civilized Discourse, Highbrow Provocation, and a Fuller Embrace of Campaigning: Three Conservative Styles at Eastern Elite University 213 Chapter 7: Conservative Femininity 270 Chapter 8: The Theory behind the Findings: How Studying College Conservatives Extends Our Understanding of Higher Education, Politics, and Culture 309 Notes 327 References 363 Index 381.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780691145372 20160610
- Publisher's Summary
- Conservative pundits allege that the pervasive liberalism of America's colleges and universities has detrimental effects on undergraduates, most particularly right-leaning ones. Yet not enough attention has actually been paid to young conservatives to test these claims-until now. In Becoming Right, Amy Binder and Kate Wood carefully explore who conservative students are, and how their beliefs and political activism relate to their university experiences. Rich in interviews and insight, Becoming Right illustrates that the diverse conservative movement evolving among today's college students holds important implications for the direction of American politics.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780691145372 20160610
- Publication date
- Princeton studies in cultural sociology
- 9780691145372 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0691145377 (hbk. : alk. paper)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: