Music outside the lines : ideas for composing in K-12 music classrooms
- Maud Hickey.
- New York : Oxford University Press, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- vi, 168 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
MT155 .H55 2012
- Unknown MT155 .H55 2012
- Hickey, Maud.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 161-165) and index.
- Preface -- Chapter 1 - Introduction -- Chapter 2 - The Issues -- Chapter 3 - Defining, Listening and Exploring -- Chapter 4 - Composition Prompts: Inspiration and Identity -- Chapter 5 - Form in Music -- Chapter 6 - Musical Elements -- Chapter 7 - Big Elements -- Notes -- References -- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Music Outside the Lines is an informative and practical resource for all who are invested in making music composition an integral part of curriculum. Author Maud Hickey addresses the practical needs of music educators by offering both a well-grounded justification for teaching music composition and also a compendium of useful instructional ideas and classroom activities. Hickey begins with a rationale for teachers to begin composition activities in their own classrooms, with a thoughtful argument that demonstrates that all music teachers possess the skills and training needed to take children along the path toward composing satisfying musical compositions even if they themselves have never taken formal composition lessons. She also addresses some of the stickier issues that plague teaching music composition in schools such as assessment, notation, and technology. Most importantly, she introduces a curricular model for teaching composition, a model which provides an array of composition activities to try in the music classrooms and studios. These activities encourage musical and creative growth through music composition; while they are organized in logical units corresponding to existing teaching modules, they also offer jumping off points for music teachers to exercise their own creative thinking and create music composition activities that are customized to their classes and needs. As a whole, Music Outside the Lines both successfully reasons that music composition should be at the core of school music curriculum and also provides inservice and pre-service educators with an essential resource and compendium of practical tips and plans for fulfilling this goal.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9780199826773 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 0199826773 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9780199826797 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 019982679X (pbk. : alk. paper)