The doctrine of chances : probabilistic aspects of gambling
- Stewart N. Ethier.
- Berlin : Springer, c2010.
- Physical description
- xiv, 816 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Probability and its applications (Springer-Verlag)
- STATS-334-01 -- Mathematics and Statistics of Gambling
- Diaconis, Persi
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|QA271 .E75 2010||On reserve at Li and Ma Science Library 2-hour loan|
- Ethier, Stewart N., 1948-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 751-781) and index.
- Theory.- Review of Probability.- Conditional Expectation.- Martingales.- Markov Chains.- Game Theory.- House Advantage.- Gambler's Ruin.- Betting Systems.- Bold Play.- Optimal Proportional Play.- Card Theory.- Applications.- Slot Machines.- Roulette.- Keno.- Craps.- House-Banked Poker.- Video Poker.- Faro.- Baccarat.- Trente et Quarante.- Twenty-One.- Poker.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9783540787822 20160605
- Publisher's Summary
- I have found many thousands more readers than I ever looked for. I have no right to say to these, You shall not ?nd fault with my art, or fall asleep over my pages; but I ask you to believe that this person writing strives to tell the truth. If there is not that, there is nothing. William Makepeace Thackeray, The History of Pendennis This is a monograph/textbook on the probabilistic aspects of gambling, intended for those already familiar with probability at the post-calculus, p- measure-theory level. Gambling motivated much of the early development of probability the- 1 ory (David 1962). Indeed, some of the earliest works on probability include Girolamo Cardano's [1501-1576] Liber de Ludo Aleae (The Book on Games of Chance, written c. 1565, published 1663), Christiaan Huygens's [1629- 1695] "De ratiociniis in ludo aleae" ("On reckoning in games of chance, " 1657), Jacob Bernoulli's [1654-1705]Ars Conjectandi (The Art of Conject- ing, written c. 1690, published 1713), Pierre R' emond de Montmort's [1678- 1719] Essay d'analyse sur les jeux de hasard (Analytical Essay on Games of Chance, 1708, 1713), and Abraham De Moivre's [1667-1754]TheDoctrineof Chances (1718, 1738, 1756). Gambling also had a major in?uence on 20- century probability theory, as it provided the motivation for the concept of a martingale.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9783540787822 20160605
- Publication date
- Probability and its applications
Browse related items
Start at call number: