Hypergeometric orthogonal polynomials and their q-analogues
- Roelof Koekoek, Peter A. Lesky, René F. Swarttouw ; with a foreword by Tom H. Koornwinder.
- Heidelberg ; New York : Springer, c2010.
- Physical description
- xix, 578 p. ; 25 cm.
- Springer monographs in mathematics.
Math & Statistics Library
|QA404.5 .K64 2010||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Definitions and Miscellaneous Formulas.- Classical orthogonal polynomials.- Orthogonal Polynomial Solutions of Differential Equations.- Orthogonal Polynomial Solutions of Real Difference Equations.- Orthogonal Polynomial Solutions of Complex Difference Equations.- Orthogonal Polynomial Solutions in x(x+u) of Real Difference Equations.- Orthogonal Polynomial Solutions in z(z+u) of Complex Difference Equations.- Hypergeometric Orthogonal Polynomials.- Polynomial Solutions of Eigenvalue Problems.- Classical q-orthogonal polynomials.- Orthogonal Polynomial Solutions of q-Difference Equations.- Orthogonal Polynomial Solutions in q?x of q-Difference Equations.- Orthogonal Polynomial Solutions in q?x+uqx of Real.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The present book is about the Askey scheme and the q-Askey scheme, which are graphically displayed right before chapter 9 and chapter 14, respectively. The fa- lies of orthogonal polynomials in these two schemes generalize the classical orth- onal polynomials (Jacobi, Laguerre and Hermite polynomials) and they have pr- erties similar to them. In fact, they have properties so similar that I am inclined (f- lowing Andrews & Askey ) to call all families in the (q-)Askey scheme classical orthogonal polynomials, and to call the Jacobi, Laguerre and Hermite polynomials very classical orthogonal polynomials. These very classical orthogonal polynomials are good friends of mine since - most the beginning of my mathematical career. When I was a fresh PhD student at the Mathematical Centre (now CWI) in Amsterdam, Dick Askey spent a sabbatical there during the academic year 1969-1970. He lectured to us in a very stimulating wayabouthypergeometricfunctionsandclassicalorthogonalpolynomials . Evenb- ter, he gave us problems to solve which might be worth a PhD. He also pointed out to us that there was more than just Jacobi, Laguerre and Hermite polynomials, for instance Hahn polynomials, and that it was one of the merits of the Higher Transc- dental Functions (Bateman project) that it included some newer stuff like the Hahn polynomials (see [198, 10. 23]).
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Springer monographs in mathematics, 1439-7382
- 9783642050138 (hbk.)
- 3642050131 (hbk.)
- 9783642050145 (e-ISBN)
- 364205014X (e-ISBN)
Browse related items
Start at call number: